Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1967 dodge d100

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Frank07CC
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be frustrating when you get too much on your plate. I try to make a priority list and concentrate on the most important, rather than on the most urgent. Sounds like you are making progress on the Dodge. And I know that is important to you. But you really don't have a deadline, do you? It will take as long as it takes...

Old 11-24-2018, 05:52 PM
drummerdad
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I havent posted in awhile. Ive been busy though. So we discoverd the frame under Isaacs truck is junk. The guy did a horribly shady job on it, and its just unsafe. I have started stripping the parts truck, and decided to use its frame. I have to shorten it, but its unmolested. I bought an IFS from Uncle Jimmys Jalopies, and we are going to add it while we have it apart. Im getting good parts from the parts truck. Hopefully I can get most of what I need. The plan for now is to shorten the frame, add the IFS, and swap the body/bed over and re-assemble for next summer. I hope to have it running by late spring. I have a LONG way to go.

The way it was when we started working on the frame swap. It ran and all the gauges worked. Blinkers and stop lights were a problem because of the steering column. I have a new tilt column ready to go in.

Here is the IFS from Uncle Jimmys. Im anxious to get this in. Its the "corner killer" series, with coil overs.

Some of the horrible work from the P.O. So many bad things I didnt see when we bought it. Im learning quickly though

The parts truck. Bed is off, and the frame is ready to be cut. Then Ill remove the cab, and start the swap, before installing the IFS.

My layout of the cut. The long bed is 24" longer. 14" between the rearend and the cab, and 10" at the back. Ill cut and weld this, then weld a patch over the entire area. Future plans will include boxing the entire frame, and a 4-link. But not right now

Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM
drummerdad
Professional

So I have the IFS from Jimmys Jalopys and Im making sure I have all the tools and clamps for the frame shortening. Then I can start the IFS install. Currently we have about 10" of snow, so things are at a crawl right now. And Uncle Jimmy has stiffed me out of two shock collars. I thought I was missing pieces, and when I asked him and he told me to send a picture. I did, and we determined the adjustable shock collars from the coil overs were missing. He agreed to send them....over 5 weeks ago. I sent at least 3 emails, 2 texts, and left messages on his voicemail and his website messenger. Nothing. So, I guess Im going to have to buy 2 coil overs. Great.

Does anyone know how long they should be? I am assuming the lower control arm needs to be parallel to the ground when installed. I guess I could mock it up with some tubing until I get it set. Either way, Ill have to get coil overs. Any advice?

The following users liked this post:
Tw1ZZLER (01-16-2023)
Old 12-26-2018, 05:55 PM
drummerdad
Professional

So today I got the missing pieces for the shocks. Im glad Uncle Jimmys made this right. I am borrowing a welder this weekend, and cutting this frame one way or another. Hopefully this will get me back into swing. Ive just wasted a lot of time waiting for the weather to get slightly better. I need to pull the engine and cab, but if it isnt raining here its snowing. I need to stop being a baby and just do it I guess.

With the shock parts, I can go straight from the frame shortening, to cab/engine removal, then into the front suspension install. Fingers crossed.

Tw1ZZLER (01-16-2023)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:48 PM
drummerdad
Professional

I am making progress. I got the other fender off, finally. I also got the cab bolts out, so its ready to come off tomorrow. I figured it would be easier to remove the super tall shifter, and remove the cab, rather than remove the engine and trans first. That NP435 transmission looks like it weighs 1000lbs. Ill remove the cab, then fight the engine and transmission. Next is cutting and shortening the frame, then Im on to the IFS. My welder wont weld the frame, it barely gets penetration on the .063 wall tubing. I have a guy who will help, but he wants to use a stick or tig welder. After some research, it appears its about 50/50 on mig welding the frame. Ill err on the side of caution, and just borrow a stick welder, then buy a 220 extension cord. Ill try and post some pictures, maybe a link to the folder where I keep them all just in case anyone is interested.

The folder link;

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...aN?usp=sharing

Driver side fender off. I had to cut almost half the bolts out.

Everything is ready to go, to remove the engine. The cab will be first though. I think itll be easier.

The radiator support is almost perfect, no stripped bolts or dents. Its dirty, but nice and original.

This is the last time this cab will be on this frame. Im going to keep the cab for repair parts. The green wagon on the frame (in the box, barely seen) will be how I move the cab around the yard. Ill also move the beds back and forth.

Just some of the workmanship from the P.O. He cut the spring hangers, so now I have to figure something out. This is on Isaacs truck, and I plan to use the springs and 8-3/4 rearend

Isaacs truck patiently waiting for me to get the frame mods done so it can be put together.

Last edited by drummerdad; 12-28-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Tw1ZZLER (01-16-2023)
Old 12-29-2018, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Progress!

Yeah, the old cast iron transmissions weighed a ton.......

Old 12-29-2018, 07:07 PM
drummerdad
Professional

Made good progress today. I got the cab, engine and transmission off. I pressure washed the frame and got some of the crusty stuff off. Ill have to work on it some more. Im going to try and box the frame also. Im ready to cut and shorten the frame now. Hopefully Ill get that done in a week or two. Then I can start the IFS. Im going to try and get the triangulated 4 link while I am this far in. It would be a shame to let $600 stop me while Im in this deep. We will see.

Cab comes off. It wasnt too bad.

Without the engine hoist it would have been impossible. Money well spent.

I bought one of those garden carts just for this. It worked well. It is a bit wobbly.

The NP435 comes out. It was heavy.

Bell housing had of a mouse nest. Im sure "it ran when it was parked", just like all of them. Hole in the radiator, empty gas tank, no clutch or brake fluid, all kinds of issues.

And the engine comes out. I have no idea what to do with it though. Im going to have to get rid of some of this stuff soon.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

List it on craigslist. Someone may be interested in vintage iron..... Or, scrap it. Should be worth something.....

Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
drummerdad
Professional

I tried for weeks to borrow a welder, with no luck, so I bought one. Nothing fancy, just a multi-process machine from home depot. Its a 180 amp, tig/stick/plasma cutter. It should do the job well.

I am trying to get some metal at a discount from a friend, but if that doesnt happen I might try and get a local shop to cut them out of my templates. I think I might play with the plasma cutter this weekend, and if that goes well I might just get the metal and cut it myself.

I also got the 4 link today. Its from Johnny law motors, and I got it from ebay. It looks nice, should go in good.

The plan for now is to shorten the frame this weekend, hopefully. Then Ill box the frame, and start the front and rear suspension installs. I also have to modify the mid-crossmember for the automatic. Ill post pictures when I get them.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Never need an excuse to buy more tools.....

Quick Reply: 1967 dodge d100