Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

78 dodge d150 dies after running for 20 minutes

Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 PM
RobertLR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 dodge d150 dies after running for 20 minutes

Hi I have been working on this truck for about 3 weeks. Like clock work it dies after 20 minutes of running and will not start until it is cold again. I have changed ignition module, new distributor, new coil, new carburetor, voltage regulator, Alternator I had life time on it. The fuel pump I bought which is mechanical but I haven't installed it yet. It squirts fuel into the carburetor and when I installed the new carb, I forgot to hook the inlet back up and it pour fuel out lol. I also changed the ballest resistor, I always carry a new spare. I haven't drove it since I put the distributor because I was towed home once already, so I just let it idle and like clock work it dies. I idles fine though. I cleaned the ground and battery terminals too. I still have power because the lights and the cb radio still work, something is shutting down and there is no computer on it. Any suggestions thanks

Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Check the terminal in the bulkhead connector that goes to the ballast resistor(12v from ignition switch(run)) The terminals heat up from a bad connection and cause problems. The two for the amp gauge are notorious for doing this and melting the plastic bulkhead connector.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 PM
RobertLR

Thanks for the information so if I understand you correctly I'm to check that to the ignition switch too I'm sending this from my phone

Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM
RobertLR

Hi I didn't see any signs of melting I also traced the ignition wire when the key goes hot to the starter relay, I replaced the relay just in case. Turned it on, and after 20 minutes shut off.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Sound like a vapor lock issue to me. Keep the fuel line away from the exhaust and not to close to the engine.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Bills426

Have you fixed this yet ?
If not , you wouldn't just happen to be using a double ballast resistor would you ?

Search this Thread