Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Rims replacement 7.50/20

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 11:16 PM
Alenorm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply and input. I believe you about the price gouging to replace 7 tires will cost over $10,000 if I am looking for the 7.5” wide that been normally used during that time.
I may be able to pick used or new one or two but not seven or go deferent size that will lead me to the safety and who’s going to take the risk.
I asked my done to ask around as he travels all over western region.
Ps about your story I see few funny videos made of accidents replacing tires on these rims and don’t know laugh or be sad for the workers (no one got hurt🙏&#127995

Old 09-24-2024, 10:12 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Alenorm
Thank you for the reply and input. I believe you about the price gouging to replace 7 tires will cost over $10,000 if I am looking for the 7.5” wide that been normally used during that time.
I may be able to pick used or new one or two but not seven or go deferent size that will lead me to the safety and who’s going to take the risk.
I asked my done to ask around as he travels all over western region.
Ps about your story I see few funny videos made of accidents replacing tires on these rims and don’t know laugh or be sad for the workers (no one got hurt🙏&#127995

Let's step back and regroup here. Unless you're going with a period correct, numbers matching restoration, you don't need factory tires and rims. First off, find out what bolt pattern you have. If I remember correctly, my old B-3-PW had 5 on 6 3/4 lug pattern. You have 20 inch wheels so those tires will be fairly easy to find. If they were 19.5, those can be a bear. I can't find my main older interchange book but the one I did find showed your wheels used from 1940 to 1942. A lot of stuff was different after the war.

On your tires, if you plan to drive the truck, go with radial tires. Those were not even invented until 1947, but if you want to drive, that;s what you want. You want the proper off set on the wheels you get. That is the distance from the inside of the mounting plate to the inner rim.

Now, it's possible you might get by with 18 inch wheels. You have drum brakes so if the wheel will clear, and you can get 6 matching wheels, you might want to go that route. You need to know the bolt pattern first and foremost. Go here to figure out how to find your pattern.

https://www.americantrucks.com/bolt-pattern.html

Once you find the pattern, we can go from there. Together we can get you going, and it will be a LOT less than $10,000. 6 good tires should run $2000-$3500. More than likely less. Probably closer to the lower end unless you want fancy mud tread tires.

You definitely want radial tires so you'll be looking for tubeless tires. I had a 1954 Dodge Coronet years ago. The tires on it were pretty aged but rode okay. I had the front end rebuilt. New kings pins and the whole front end was rebuilt to factory spec.,by a guy who was a bout to retire and had worked on them new. When I went down the road, the car still followed every rut and crack in the road. Putting different rims with new radial tires and it drove almost as well as a new car.

So, find your nolt pattern and we'll go from there.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 09-24-2024 at 10:12 AM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 09-24-2024, 11:37 AM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just want to say I'm still confused by what wheels you actually have. Old Fords used the "Widow Maker" wheels...Dodge used the safer, easier to service "Split Side Ring" wheels...

Pics...

Just my feeling if you do have the widow makers

Just my feeling if you do have the widow makers, they are Ford wheels and not Dodge.
I know of one forum member whose truck had 8.25 x20" wheels and had a set of 22.5" wheels made with the 5 lug bolt pattern .... they would be to tall for you but having the wheels made is possible.
There may be some 19.5" wheels made to fit your truck, finding 5 lug is very tough to do.
I have heard stories that some 10 lug wheels will fit your bolt pattern ... just using 5 of the bolt holes .... Ford F550 was mentioned as a option.
A machine shop can make some wheel spacers out of aluminum to adapt your bolt pattern to the bolt pattern of whatever wheels you find.

Another option that I would consider, is finding a donor truck and swapping the rear end over so you get modern brakes, gear ratio, u-joints.
Be nice to get one with a straight axle front end and take care of it at the same time.

Problem with old Dodges is parts availability .... there are a few vendors for them, not many options though. Parts are expensive.
My 49 1/2 ton, brake drums are $400 each. They are a inferior 10" diameter with a 2" wide shoe .... the rear end is a weak tapered axle and the hubs are held in position with a shear pin equal to the shear pin on a old briggs and stratton push mower .... The obsolete Cleveland U-joints were once available by 1 vendor for $85 ... then that vendor disappeared and no longer available .... now I hear there is another vendor that sells them .... I dunno. about today.
I can pickup a Ford Expoler or Jeep Cherokee and with a couple mods bolt it in for $200-$300 with all new seals and brakes .... main issue is getting 3:73 gear ratio that my 218 flathead can handle.

It is just hard for me to consider sticking $1K into a original rear end, when I can make it safer and more pleasurable to drive for 1/2 that amount.
Have you seen any motor homes for free on facebook market place ... must haul off? There is a free rear end for you right there with plenty of options for wheels. Good chance you can use the drive line also and just modify the front yoke to work.
Still have the front wheels to work out .... wheel adapters, disk brake swap, swap a different axle in ... choices.

Easiest is to install the correct stock wheel if you can find them, but nice to consider choices also.

Old 09-24-2024, 12:21 PM
Alenorm

Thank you for the reply and input. I believe that the first photo with white wheel is closer to what’s on the truck now. The spare wheel had similar ring however when they took it off it looks twisted one side higher than other not like the one on the photo that shows the split facing both sides.
The logos are 5-8”
someone mentioned number on front left of the chassis and it’s (2033)

Old 09-24-2024, 01:29 PM
Los_Control
Professional

Sounds like you have the safer split ring wheels, these are fine to use if in good condition.
If one is twisted then I as a tire installer might reject it and say that wheel needs replaced. .... I dunno without looking at it.
A slight difference in height might be considered normal .... A previous worker may have been rough with it and bent it .... that is bad.
The lock ring is what keeps everything together, they work perfect if they are in good condition.

If the wheel is heavily rusted, or the lip that the lock ring sits in or the ring is damaged, it is unsafe to continue to use them.

If they were my wheels I would have them all dismounted and inspected, then sand blast and paint the good ones .... search for replacements as needed.

I got to thinking about my Uncle who had several old trucks with 5 lug 20" wheels and I remember asking him one time why one of the trucks had 10 hole wheels but only 5 lugs.
Simple answer was, 5 lug are hard to find.

Grampa built this truck, he hauled a Ford 9N tractor with a bucket on the front and a backhoe on the rear. Taller 8.25 tires but 5 lug 20"

I do not know if this is factory and the way they did things, or if Grampa installed a 10 bolt rear end for a heavier load .... poor picture but I think it is 10 hole or more then 5

The 5 hole wheels wont work back here, but he could use the rear wheels in the front. ..... Just looks funny because there are 5 vacant holes and looks like your missing lugs.

Old ferd with 5 lug 20"

Like @ol' grouch suggest, need to figure out your bolt pattern and center hole size and then figure out how many you need ... then start the hunt.

Old 09-24-2024, 01:52 PM
Alenorm

Yes they do look like the one I got but not the year my truck has the lights over the fender.

one of my sons buddies came over stateside on leave and later dropped me 19.5/20 thinking that I may have use for them🤦🏼‍♂️ he meant well.
his dad had a trailer and was going to replace few but he kicked the bucket early.
what’s funny that two of my kids are area managers for a big oil company and they are in charge of services of fleets to include tires replacement on the road but with the connection I did not get any satisfaction from them or help. I miss the time my dad used to boot me when I don’t lend hand on the farm or miss things up or go stray 😩just 🤔

Old 09-24-2024, 03:11 PM
Los_Control
Professional

The only point of the photo's was to show both Chevrolet and Ford also used the same style of wheel, not just Dodge. So that will help increase the chance of finding one.

I think there is a really good chance the bolt pattern will be the same, while the diameter of the center hole may be different also backspacing .... good chance they will be the same.
You just need to measure what you have so you can compare with others.

The following users liked this post:
Alenorm (09-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Rims replacement 7.50/20