Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Idle on 2001 R/T

Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
heR/Truck
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle on 2001 R/T

I posted a message yesterday to get some advice with an idle problem on my durango, and I just realized I posted it under Dakota instead of Durango. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle and what it should idle at when its cranked and sitting still? Im having problems keeping it running, and have to jump it off most days to get it to crank at all. If anyone can help me with this problem, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Leonard
Veteran
Default RE: Idle on 2001 R/T

I have heard that low voltage will cause them to run funny.
Perhaps your battery is giving up and it is time to charge/test or replace it.

With all the electronics you have maybe a high output alternator would be good if your charging system checks out okay.

BTW How do you like that Kenwood Keg?

Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 PM
heR/Truck
All Star

Thanks for the info. When I turn the car off, everything in it turns off except the cell phone charger. Recently one of the small screens has found a way to turn itself on with me doing it. I finally unplugged it. It must have some sort of short in it. About a year ago, my alarm had a short in it and the car would constantly try to start itself which would result in the battery dying all the time. Got that problem fixed and other then it dying about once a month, havent had any trouble at all. It sounds awful when I do get it cranked and if I have to jump it, it has to run for 3-4 minutes without me touching the brakes or it will cut off.
As for the music keg.. Its awesome. I have the 10 gig card that came with it, and I have 76 cds on it. The screen in the front of my car will either display the artist name, or the song title. Its so much better then having a changer and the price isnt bad either. Its well worth it.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Leonard
Veteran

Is there an Autozone or something in your area that will test the charging system for free where you are at?
Electrical troubles are hard to diagnose sometimes.

I have been meaning to get a MP3 player in my truck.
Still can't figure out if I want the Keg or just a MP3 deck and maybe a changer.

May even do the Ipod thing but I almost expect them to come out with decks with a USB port
so that you can just hook up an external hard drive in the glove box some day soon.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to go with the low voltage idea. Gotta love these computer controlled vehicles.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 AM
heR/Truck
All Star

That probally isnt that far off. I dont know much about ipods, and I wouldnt trade my keg for a changer any day of the week. Im hoping to get the 80 gig card for mine soon. I know someone has some sort of hard drive mp3 thing out now, but it wont hold as much music and its pretty expensive.
There is an advanced auto or something like that right down the road. I guess ill take it to them tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle on 2001 R/T