Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Opinions on 2nd or 3rd Gen Dakota (looking to purchase)

Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM
y2k600f4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on 2nd or 3rd Gen Dakota (looking to purchase)

Been w/o a truck for few years and it’s time to add a third vehicle for mostly recreational use and maybe to be driven 1-3 times a week in addition. Has to fit at least 4 comfortably, 4x4 (occasional beach and light trail), be able to haul stuff mostly for everyday around the house (mulch, etc) and be priced right. To be honest I have wanted a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 long bed for some time (2003-2004) but they are hard to find, higher priced and the ones I find have well over 100K miles and the first thing that is needed is a timing chain and tuneup (if don’t do it myself can run 800-1200) adding to the cost of the vehicle, but I know they are dependable, hold their value and a defineately priced lower than an equivalent Toyota.
I have always liked the Ram/Dakotas and am seriously considering a Dakota. They are way more abundant, lower priced, have more room and defineatly have more power than the Frontiers. I am considering either a 2000-2004 2nd gen or earlier 3rd gen (2005) with the 4.7L Magnum V8 Quad cab, 4x4, Auto, Optioned (SLT).
I’d appreciate any opinions on stuff like dependability and maintainance. I am seeing a few nice trucks in the 100K range. Is there anything I should be looking at during my search. Hoping to look at a couple today. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess it all depends on your tastes and what you can find available. Of coarse the one with least amount of miles is usually in better condition. As well as good maintenance on the truck.

Also factor in what you want to do with it, like a lift kit, performance parts ect.

For me I would try to find a 2000-2002 Dakota 5.2 or 5.9 V8, although I'm not sure on the Crew Cab models years. I just love the round curves on the 2nd Gens. Vs the blocky look of 3rd gens, and they are more heavier too.

Tons more performance options for the Magnum V8's vs the 4.7's (I think, I never looked up parts for the 4.7). I believe the 2nd Gen has more lift kit options as well.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 11-01-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Missed Again
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you find? Back in ’03 I was looking for pretty much the same as you. What I wanted was a Tundra, problem was a three year old one cost pretty much what a new one did. I finally settled on you hears felt desire except it is a Quad(Extended cab) Cab, not Crew(4 Door) for less than half the price. Eight and a half years and 80K miles later it is still trucking along just fine. There have been several times I have loaded it beyond advertised capacity and it hauled it all. Had to fix the driver side window and put on a new power steering pump, that’s all besides routine maintenance. I know Dodge takes a beating from Consumer Reports and they have quit making the Dakota, but if you can find a good one jump on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on 2nd or 3rd Gen Dakota (looking to purchase)