2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:40 PM
spider2099
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work

installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work in my 1999 dodge Dakota sport

Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 PM
spider2099
Default installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work in my 1999 Dakota Sport

My low beams will not work as long as my fogs are on......................I installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work with low beams. ..... 1.... Turn on the parking lights and the fog lights work...... 2.... Turn them off and turn on the low beams, works. Activate the high beams, they work. ......3...... Back to low beams and turn on the fog lights. This now turns on the high beams. If I Flash or turn the high beams on from here the fogs turn off but the high beams stay on as long as the fog light switch is on. Return to low beam with fogs on and the lights stay in the high beam with the fogs on...... 4..... I reinstalled the factory headlights and the lights operate correctly as from factory. Do I need a decoder or load resistors to correct this problem?................

Last edited by spider2099; 11-17-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Merged duplicate threads. You only need to post the same thing once.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

fog lights should always be off with high beams turned on. I had that "feature" bypassed and I got a ticket for having more than 4 beams on at once (2 fog, 2 low, 2 high beam). Flash-to-pass I think keeps the fogs on but i honestly don't remember anymore.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:05 PM
Bigcountry54637

Originally Posted by spider2099
My low beams will not work as long as my fogs are on......................I installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work with low beams. ..... 1.... Turn on the parking lights and the fog lights work...... 2.... Turn them off and turn on the low beams, works. Activate the high beams, they work. ......3...... Back to low beams and turn on the fog lights. This now turns on the high beams. If I Flash or turn the high beams on from here the fogs turn off but the high beams stay on as long as the fog light switch is on. Return to low beam with fogs on and the lights stay in the high beam with the fogs on...... 4..... I reinstalled the factory headlights and the lights operate correctly as from factory. Do I need a decoder or load resistors to correct this problem?................
I know this is old but I'm having the same issue now. I couldn't have described the issue better myself. Did you ever figure it out. I'm stumped. The company I got my led lights from are supposed to send me a canbus to try nut I honestly thought the 99 model year would be to old to need it. Thank you for any advice you might have

Old 01-07-2022, 10:00 PM
wheily
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had to install resisters on my 99 to get lights to work correctly after switching to led headlights

Old 01-08-2022, 01:15 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

LEDs are diodes They have polarity and sometimes the manufacturers don't get it right. When I installed my LED headlights, high beams were low and low were high. I swapped the wires around to correct it.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:15 PM
EmterCustomCreations
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
LEDs are diodes They have polarity and sometimes the manufacturers don't get it right. When I installed my LED headlights, high beams were low and low were high. I swapped the wires around to correct it.
Did you have to run canbus resistors when you did your swap? I also have an 03 and have my lights but if I need the resistor kit for them I'm going to wait til those come to do the swap. If they did need resistors I'd assume all running/marker lights front and rear would require the same?

Old 01-24-2022, 09:51 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by EmterCustomCreations
Did you have to run canbus resistors when you did your swap? I also have an 03 and have my lights but if I need the resistor kit for them I'm going to wait til those come to do the swap. If they did need resistors I'd assume all running/marker lights front and rear would require the same?
No, I did not need resistors for any of the front lights.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:04 PM
EmterCustomCreations
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
No, I did not need resistors for any of the front lights.
Great to know! Might as well change them all over then! Thanks for the quick answer!

Quick Reply: installed LED headlights now my fog lights don't work