Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

factory speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:27 PM
04Dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory speaker sizes

Can anyone tell me what the sizes are for the factory speakers in my Dakota? I am wanting to upgrade them. Also do you have any suggestions as to what kind to replace them with? Thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2004, 01:10 AM
TotalImmortal
Default RE: factory speaker sizes

Hey 04,
I have a '99 that I put a pretty sweet system into. How much are you looking to change? I don't know if the speaker sizes changed, but I know im my car I have 6 1/2" speakers in the back (one on each side), and I believe it's a 5 1/2" that's in the door down by our feet.

Here's what I did:
I replaced the 4-previous mentioned speakers with some Boston Acoustics (god I love how they sound. my absolute favorites).

About a year ago, I took out the back seat, and put this in instead:

That's a 500w JL Audio amp, and those sub's are 12" (Boston Acoustics ProSeries). Needless to say it sounds amazing.

The sky's almost the limit if you aren't afraid to pay more for custom work. But you will notice a tremendous difference just getting the factory speakers out of the doors.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:26 AM
04Dakota
Veteran

I would love to put a system in my truck but I have a rergular cab and there's really not a lot I can do to it. I am 6'6" and need all the space I can get so putting subs behind the seat is kind of out of the question. So the Boston Acoustic are good replacements? I had thought about Kicker or Kenwood since I had had them in a previous ride and was happy with them.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:55 AM
TotalImmortal

Sorry for the delayed response,
Hey, if you were happy with the Kenwood's in your old install, go for 'em man! Boston's are of exceptional quality, but a lot of it is what sounds good to your ears. Boston's also are fairly expensive. Good luck and let us know what you go with!

Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 PM
csmendez

Go to www.metraonline.com and input the info on you vehicle it will give you all info you need from factory pluges to speaker sizes. This is only for audio.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
moparmadness74

Should be 6.5" all the way around, unless something has changed Nice sub box whoever that was too!

Old 08-04-2004, 02:43 PM
moparmadness74

Hey also wanted to mention I love Kicker speakers all around, but if you want some bass get som JL 6.5" subs yes thats right Kenwood makes some also but I've heard the JL's before and liked them, then have a small box made to fit behind the pass seat, it will make all the difference in the world, some nice components up front if you want to spend the money and she'll sound super sweet, don't neglect on a good head unit with high and low pass crossovers too, it makes the speakers work where they were designed too.

Later!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 AM
mattlog

In my 04, it takes 6 1/2" all around, but you can always check with the salesperson just to be sure. I also went with Boston Acoustics front and back and installed myself to make sure it was done right. The factory speakers are probably closer to 7 1/4, and might even accept an 8' in the back. The rear speakers even have a crude tuned port in the cab sheet metal that makes a noticeable difference. I also installed an older Alpine 360w rms(4x90/3/2) with a Sony head unit. I put the amp under the driver's seat by cutting away the carpet and thick foam and am building boxes for a couple of RF 8" subs that can be removed for space considerations. Very nice sound and still have most of my cab space.

Not sure what a good inexpensive speaker to recommend is. Infinities used to be good, Polk makes some nice stuff. Go to a electronic department store and listen to what they have, and then check on ebay. My Bostons list for $260 a pair and I found them on ebay for $150.

Quick Reply: factory speaker sizes