Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

'00 Dakota - Speedometer Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Kitti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Dakota - Speedometer Doesn't Work

Well I did a search just to see if this has been touched upon, and didn't see something that matches my issue exactly.

As stated in the subject, I've got a '00 Dakota, V6, that's it, no 4x4 or anything. It's just a plain automatic.

Now, here's the problem. Today I turned on my truck to find that my speedometer wasn't working. I had at first assumed that it was 'cause I was going under 20mph, but when I was following the flow of traffic and knew we couldn't all be going under 20 I got a little worried. I've since driven it a couple of times in the vain hope that it'd magically work.

No such luck. Tachometer still works which is helpful, but not the best. Now I've read some stuff about sensors...where are they at and are they easier to buy? I've got to drive back home tomorrow which is like an hour and a half drive from where I'm at.

And I'm guessing that the police won't sympathize to much for me if I accidentally speed on my way home.

Any advice and recommendations you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 PM
DarkHamlet
Professional
Default RE: '00 Dakota - Speedometer Doesn't Work

It has happen to me before, but it was in another brand of car.
Probably the cable broke down.

What i did when it happen to me to drive was, i used the tachometer to guide me, on how fast i was going.
usually it work 4 me.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 AM
JJ

Honestly.... how often do you actually not speed??? Just keep your eyes peeled for police and if you're really worried about your drive home just stay in the slow lane

Old 05-26-2004, 03:00 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like rear-wheel speed sensor is open. It is located on the top of the rear diff housing.

Quick Reply: '00 Dakota - Speedometer Doesn't Work