Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

My new ride, heat doesn't work!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:43 AM
shingo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new ride, heat doesn't work!

It's a 2000 Dakota r/t extended cab with 50k miles on it. I bought it from a friend of mine who got it from his father in Louisiana. Anyway it was a southern car it's whole life so the heat was never used. Now it's in Chicago and It sucks *** driving without heat! What could the problem be? It blows air that's semi warm and the ac works perfect, but no heat!

here it is

Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 AM
shingo
Default RE: HELP-My new ride, heat doesn't work!

oh and I paid 5500 is that a good price?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My new ride, heat doesn't work!

If I could buy an R/T for $5,500 I would jump right on it! (Well, if I could get rid of my truck)
Great lookin truck you got there.

As for the lack of heat, try flushing the heater core. If the coolant in the system doesn't look to great, it'd probably be a good idea to flush the radiator and the block and put in all new coolant.
It could be the thermostat is stuck open. If you flush the whole system, you might as well replace the thermostat. 190* is stock, 180* is usually what most people install.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:35 AM
shingo

Are these things difficult to do? I've never done more than an oil change by myself.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not too difficult. It's best to reverse flush the systems.
I believe the hoses for the heater core are located in the same spot on your truck. To the right (passenger side) of the master cylinder. Theres two hoses. Disconnect both of them, connect a water hose to one of them and put the other in a bucket (or, at least aim it into a bucket). Run hose water thru the line until the water comes out clean.
Water flow thru the engine block is from bottom to top, so to reverse flush you would go from top to bottom.
Water flow thru the radiator is from top to bottom, its probably safe to just flush it in that same direction.
The key is to get clean water out of each item.

Of course, coolant/water concentration is 50/50. If you buy the pre-diluted stuff don't add water (but its more expensive that way). If you don't buy the pre-diluted stuff, its a good idea to use distilled water, since the minerals are removed.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:47 PM
mooshimanx

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

If I could buy an R/T for $5,500 I would jump right on it! (Well, if I could get rid of my truck)
Great lookin truck you got there.

As for the lack of heat, try flushing the heater core. If the coolant in the system doesn't look to great, it'd probably be a good idea to flush the radiator and the block and put in all new coolant.
It could be the thermostat is stuck open. If you flush the whole system, you might as well replace the thermostat. 190* is stock, 180* is usually what most people install.
I'd buy it and then sell it anyways, but I wouldn't buy anything right now that came out of Lousiana; there are lots of salvaged katrina cars that I'd be wary of

Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 PM
shingo

It came from there before all that happened.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 AM
ddt1974

NICE! Looks just like mine. Mine was $6000 at 59805 miles. You got a deal. What's the difference betweena Dakota R/T and Dakota SPORT?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Dakota_24

A Dakota Sport is just a SPORT decal and a swoosh here and there, and different wheels. The R/T is way more than that! LOL

Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
ddt1974

It looks just like mine! But I did a search and it says the R/T has a 5.9L V8 with 250HP.I guess that's more than my 175HP! If I even get that on my truck. I wish I was rich and could buy nice a nice new truck. lol I can barely afford to fill this gas tank!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new ride, heat doesn't work!