Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

Dodge the Dart?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Newton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge the Dart?

I took a look at the new Dart, but didn't drive it, to be honest I didn't want to. It looks like one of those throw away cars that US manufacturers churned out in the mid 1990s to early 2000s, sort of a modern Chevy Cavalier or Oldsmobile Alero, and about the same quality. It just looks SO dated.

As a used first car for a college kid in about 6 or 7 years, sure why not I wouldn't mind giving $6,000 for one in good condition, but $20,000 for a nicely equipped new one including state tax, you must be joking.

As for the 1.4 engine, my lawn mower has a 1.4 engine, I don't care how many turbos you stick on it, it's still a 1.4, and the longevity of a highly stressed small capacity, high revving turbo engine is well established, it's the Mayfly of the engine world.

Thanks, but no thanks unless you can get me one for about $12k.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you drive right now?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

My personal opinion, based on pretty much no first-hand experience, is the new Dart will be a pretty hot seller. Think of all the Neons you STILL see running around, or Stratus' or Avengers. None of those are probably half the car the Dart is...

I expect it to do fairly well for Ma Mopar

Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

The new Dart has more content inside and out than my 02 stratus rt coupe....and the dart costs significantly less than my stratus.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What would you get with that price then? a Hyundai?
When I compared it to it's rivals like Civic, Corolla, Cruze, Focus, Elantra, etc... I don't see how the Dart disappoint people.
It would disappoint me only if I had to compare it with a BMW 3 series.
what can you get with 12k at 2012? seriously. you can buy a Nissan Versa with no A/C and has Manual window and door lock.

I expect this car to sell well as soon as Chrysler throws in Rebates and low interest finance. But as for Longevity, we'll see how it do 5 yrs later. Afterall, it's Euro design.

What's wrong with Alero and Cavalier? GM sold TONS of them. decent compart econo box, Cheap to fix, and I still see A LOT of them on the road.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
lbock

I'm not really sure what you would get then? If you are comparing it to the rest of the small sedan class, its probably one of the best. I think it looks cooler and is cheaper than the Focus. Its not a Camaro or Challenger but I don't think people buying those cars are looking at this one.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

I just drove one today, 1.4 turbo, 6 speed (I think all the ones on lots now are 1.4 turbo/6 speed), and honestly, it was pretty good. It ran pretty decent, not fast by any means, but definately pretty good for a whole 86 cubic inches...

No power under 2500 though; floor it and it just barely responds, but hit about 23/2400, and whatever limiting the ECM is doing goes away and she starts to move. Unfortunately, I had my mom with me and was driving in traffic in Salt Lake City, so didn't really get to unwind it. But...it seemed ok. A tune will be ideal IMO. They said it got in the 38 range driving up from Vegas.

I'd almost buy it now, but I'd REALLY like an AWD SRT version...

Expect to see these ALL OVER after they start cranking them out. I almost guarantee it...

Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

scatpack, the 1.4l turbo is a little laggy below 2,000 from a dead stop at idle...but compared to the Cruze, Corolla and Civic - it is a far better car. The main competition fo rthe dart will be the focus and the new elantra lineup.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 AM
RC81

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
scatpack, the 1.4l turbo is a little laggy below 2,000 from a dead stop at idle...but compared to the Cruze, Corolla and Civic - it is a far better car. The main competition fo rthe dart will be the focus and the new elantra lineup.

would a modification help that sluggishness?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by RC81
would a modification help that sluggishness?
Of course. I'm sure a tune will address the torque management/boost control feature they have in place. It's there to protect the clutch I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Dodge the Dart?