Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

When To Change Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM
rhoadesm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When To Change Oil

So I had my first oil change done when my Dart told me it was time. The dealer put one of those stickers on the windshield to tell me when my next oil change should happen, My question is do I need to have the oil changed when my car tells me it is time to or go my the sticker the dealer put on the windshield.

My understanding is that the dealer is using synthetic oil and it does not breakdown like conventional oils so mileage is more of a factor in deciding when to change the oil instead of time/mileage whichever come first.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
modernmuscle
Amateur

The dealership should have changed the oil light setting on the car when they first changed it. The light may be premature to let you know that it is coming. You could always check your manual, but I personally go by what I last wrote down.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

bought my 2013 GT in November. just rolled over 17,000 miles in 6 months
and have just had my 2nd oil change. First time the car told be it was time
to change the oil was after 8000 miles/3 months. Second time the car told
me to change the oil was after 16000 miles.

After both oil changes the dealership put the sticker on the car saying change
was due after 10,000 miles.

TLDR version:
I change it when my car tells me to. I drive 50 miles one way to work each
day so I figure the sooner the better.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really depends on your driving habit. I believe the Car's Oil Change reminder factors in engine hours into the Mileage due. So if you do all local driving, the light will come on earlier. If you do all highway driving, light will come on later.

It is like you see construction work truck, they always idles by the work site with engine running, no miles registered, they oil needs to be changed by the engine hour, not miles on the odometer.

Regardless, it is good to keep in mind that you should change your oil every 8000 miles or 6 month with synthetic, which ever comes first. It is cheap insurance. And when the car get older, you should check oil level every 2-3 month. Because neither the sticker or dash reminder factors in oil level as oil being burn. I am old school, I never go over 6000 miles even on synthetic oil. I have 105k miles on my current car, and it only loses half of a quart between oil change.

Quick Reply: When To Change Oil