Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Speedometer/Odometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
damageincracing
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer/Odometer issues

I wanna get some opinions before I go tearing into this thing. 1988 Daytona Shelby Z speedometer and odometer have issues. The speedo works most of the time, but the needle bounces. The odometer does not work at all. All other guages work fine. Ideas anyone?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
moparkindofgirl
Rookie
Default RE: Speedometer/Odometer issues

Typical Dodge defect in the speedo/odo. The old Turismos, TC3s,Lazersand Horizons did it too. You should first check to make sure the contacts don't have dust on them. You need to take the pod off to do this. Many times the top plastic hole that holds the screw to the pod cover breaks and it shakes loose from the vibration of the car, causing intermittant functioning. If that doesn'twork, get a new pod.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '88 Shelby Z had this problem and it never did get fixed since I simply learned to drive by the tach, knowing how fast it's going in each gear based on it's RPM's. My '87 Shelby Z didn't have this problem, but it mostly sat and I only had it for a year or two. The car lot I bought my '88 from had replaced the speedo drive gear and even though it's plastic it wasn't the problem, so it has to be a connection problem on the gauge as mentioned above.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 AM
fishyTHEdaytona

my speedo works but my tach doesnt so i shift by ear. ive got a '93 though. might it be the same thing on the contacts? anyone know?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Well- got the speedo to work and it's all good. Odo/trip still don't work though. I think the gear in the odo/trip itself is messed up. Anybody know where to get a good replacement speedo?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:00 PM
daytonav691

It sounds like your odometer gear broke a tooth or three. That's exactly what happened to two of my clusters, I say two because I went out and bought another and the same thing happened when I went to clear it back to zero while driving .

You don't actually need a whole new speedo. You can actually take apart the speedometer portion and replace the stripped out gear. I have done so on my car, and it's not as bad as you think. The biggest problem is by buying another speedo you are going to get it from a junkyard, and who knows if it has the same problem?

I highly advise you replace the gear itself. There is a small 20 tooth gear that likes to break (my old one actually broke three different teeth before it quit!) and it's not too bad to get inside to it. You do have to take off the black skin cover (has the mph numbers etc on it) and work VERY gently, but it's better than buying another cluster that could fail right away!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
moparkindofgirl
Rookie

Mine just started doing that and now it's quit completely.&nbsp\\; If you can find another cluster, change it, otherwise just keep track of how long you drive so you can guestimate between oil changes.&nbsp\\; For now, I'm leaving mine alone.
Cheryl
1990 Daytona

Old 06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
daytonav691

If you can find a travel computer at a junk yard from a lebaron, you can install it fairly easily.

It has an option for miles traveled, so you can manually keep track of it. Not to mention an added bonus of miles per gallon

Old 06-29-2008, 08:37 PM
damageincracing
Professional

Ok- found an instrument panel in an 88 Lebaron with all the gauges in it. Tested the oil pressure, temp,volts, gas, and tach with a meter and adjustable power supply and they all work perfectly. Does anybody know how to check the speedo? It has a few more miles on it than what the car actually has, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to test it out and make sure everything works before I tear the cluster out of mine. Basically, what are the three electrical connections in the back? I know one should be ground, one should besignal from the computer, and I'm guessing one is a power constant. Does anybody know for sure what the terminals are? I can't find a schematic with speedo wiring/connections. All my schematics show everything BUT the speedo.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
bigjon69420

Where did u get the gear from? Dealer item? I'm picking up my first Daytona Shelby z in the morning cars originally from nc I'm in pa. Zero rust but the clear coat is baked needs head gasket but I can do that only paying 650 can't wait my oldest brother had a 84 turbo z

Quick Reply: Speedometer/Odometer issues