DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Daytona (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-daytona-58/)
-   -   cone filter ok? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-daytona/7517-cone-filter-ok.html)

MikeThiemefriend 07-11-2004 07:50 AM

cone filter ok?

my friend put a cone airfilter on his intercoooled 89 2.2L daytona right on the tube that seems to go into the fenderwall and took the air filter out. is this gonna help performance or hurt it you think? i wasnt sure because of exactly how the intake and intercooler are set up thanks

87Indy500 07-11-2004 10:06 PM

RE: cone filter ok?

Cone type filters work well "if" they receive cold air. The problem with putting them under the hood is that it will suffer from the heat of the engine compartment. The best thing to do would be to get it in front of the radiator support, or at least put it somewhere that it would get some fresh air.

71RoadRunner 07-12-2004 03:55 AM

It is just fine. It won't help the performance any because it still has to go through the same air box and hoses. If he really wants to help improve the induction, he should replace the air box and the ribbed hoses with smooth hoses or pipe. If possible, locate the cone air filter and hose/pipe outside the engine compartment as 87Indy500 has said.

dustyloins 07-12-2004 06:36 PM

BTW RR, did you leave the plastic insert on your hood scoop off? If so, did it make any difference on your heat in the engine compartment?[&:]

71RoadRunner 07-13-2004 07:17 AM

Yeah, I just cut it and put it back on monday early morning, so I drove it a few days with it off. I cannot say about the actual under hood temperatures, but it does seem to have helped it's operating temperatures after getting off the freeway. It has always ran at a good temperature on the freeway, but after getting off of the freeway and getting into traffic at lower non-constant speeds would cause it to climb to a higher temperature, but not too high. With the scoop removed or modified it seems to stay at a lower temperature after getting off the freeway or after running it kinda hard and playing with it.[sm=smiley2.gif]

GTCandGTSturbo 07-22-2004 03:26 AM

Cold air is best, but on a turbo intercooled car, it doesn't matter nearly as much as on a n/a car.

71RoadRunner 07-22-2004 05:17 AM

True, but every little bit helps.[sm=smiley20.gif] I still want to get me a 2 channel intake temp gauge, but it's over $300 so it will wait quite a while.[sm=smiley5.gif] It would be great, one probe before the intercooler and one after, that way I could see exactly how efficient the intercooler is at all times.[sm=smiley2.gif]

GTCandGTSturbo 07-22-2004 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

True, but every little bit helps.[sm=smiley20.gif] I still want to get me a 2 channel intake temp gauge, but it's over $300 so it will wait quite a while.[sm=smiley5.gif] It would be great, one probe before the intercooler and one after, that way I could see exactly how efficient the intercooler is at all times.[sm=smiley2.gif]
www.thedodgegarage.com - gary donovan has done a test just like that with many different i/c's. I wish I could link to the direct page, but that site is wierd like that.

71RoadRunner 07-23-2004 04:19 AM

I would also have to make another pod for that gauge, I already have a triple gauge pillar that is full.[sm=smiley4.gif] Having that gauge in a 2 channel version would be so incredibly useful on a turbo intercooled car, it would be ideal for a stand alone fuel management set up.

js87z 07-29-2004 03:41 AM

i don't know if they have the same setup as mitsu. do but if they do you can get this stand onlt system and it has all kinds of new sensor and it will tell you every little thing about the car including temp changes before and after intercooler and boost from the turbo and boost at the manifold. exhaust temps . air fuel ratios timming, knock, you name it , it can tell you it is really sweet:D