Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

parallel computers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default parallel computers

does anybody know how to wire two computer towers together so that they run in parallel(one set of input/output, but both processors are being used for the same task, and all the ram from both are utilized???) because i ahve two older computers,(one of which im using now) which are almost the same specs, but if i could put them together then i could be running a really good machine which would let me do more, is there a way to do it so that both computers respond together to user input and supply the output faster than either would do alone???? if you need clarification on what im trying to do just ask, i have not been able to find in on google so im asking here

Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: parallel computers

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

does anybody know how to wire two computer towers together so that they run in parallel(one set of input/output, but both processors are being used for the same task, and all the ram from both are utilized???) because i ahve two older computers,(one of which im using now) which are almost the same specs, but if i could put them together then i could be running a really good machine which would let me do more, is there a way to do it so that both computers respond together to user input and supply the output faster than either would do alone???? if you need clarification on what im trying to do just ask, i have not been able to find in on google so im asking here
I know what your trying to do, and honestly its not worth the effort.

If your serious about getting more performance, there are better ways to do it....and you could do it fairly cheap....

Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

really, do you know how i would do this, i would like to judge for myself before i decide that you are right(which you probably are) and just go buy a new system, because funds are extemely tight and my current motherboards (in both towers) are maxed out on ram and processor

Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

This is what one of the guys I game with came up with......you could do it even cheaper...but here's a start...

After much research this is what I put together to upgrade my computer. Goal here was something good but cheap ($250), and ready for a 45nm quad core when they become available for a reasonable price.

Abit IP35-E motherboard $71.35
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....p;RSKU=BA23929

E4600 cpu $141 (only core 2 duo desktop cpu that comes with a 12x multiplier)
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=BA24345

2 GB kit of Patriot DDR2 800 memory with 4-4-4-12 timings $39
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144

The only thing overclocked with this setup is the cpu. The E4600 comes stock at 2.4 GHz, but it sets the FSB to a default of only 200 MHz or DDR400 which is way under what a P35 motherboard and DDR800 memory would normally run at. You might think that is a bad thing, but actually it works out to be a good thing because it leaves tons of headroom to overclock it! You can easily go to 3 GHz without adding any voltage so it stays very cool; all you have to do is change the FSB from 200 to 250.

This guy explains how easy it is overclock a E4600 way better than I could.
http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=700

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that they could not have picked a worse place to locate the clear CMOS jumper, which is right between the video card and PCI slots. If you get carried away by setting the overclock too high, you might have to reset the BIOS to get it to startup and it is very hard to get to it with a big video card and sound card installed. It is only really a issue if you like to see how far you can push it and once you quit messing with it you should not need to clear the BIOS, but I figured I would point it out to anyone looking at getting this motherboard.

The other things missing on this $71 motherboard is you don't get firewire, RAID, SLI and only 4 SATA ports; which is all I needed. Abit does make other versions of the IP35 that do include the extra features + even more gadgets like digital readouts and even an external clear cmos jumper so you don't even have to open the case! (I think I might just make my own )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127029
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127030
Honestly, it's not that bad a price....however that is of course assuming that everything else in your system will transfer over....as I do not know how old your rig is....

That being said, I do have a few extra video cards and what not laying around....so I may be able to help...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

2GB kit of Patriot DDR2 800 memory with 4-4-4-12 timings $39
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144
this **** is amazing. i am going to buy more. i had to change the voltage to 2.2 to get the 4-4-4-12 timing though.

how much can the e4600 be overclocked. amd has camparable stuff stock to stock that is much cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103759
this is better then the e4600 stock and about 20 bucks cheaper.

here is a solid board to go with it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130071
this AMD baord has 2 PATA instead of 1 which may be important if he is keeping old optical drives and hard drives. this baord is also sli.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ok, what i have in my computer that i want to carry over(if i have to replace anything is) my two hard drives (40 gb slave, 100gb primary,) a 16x DL DVD burner, and a DVD Rom Drive, as well as any cards that fit into it, i have a sound card, a video card(only 16 mb so needs to be replaced anyways), and a network card, not worried about firewire(USB 2.0 is faster anyway), and all of my drives are running off of E-IDE cables (so i need 2 ide connectors on the motherboard) and everything else that i have should swap right over with few upgrades, might put this stuff on my xmas list

and could anybody tell me how to possible overclock my current processor, its a intel celeron at 600 MHZ(yes i know needs to be replaced)

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

how much can the e4600 be overclocked. amd has camparable stuff stock to stock that is much cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103759
this is better then the e4600 stock and about 20 bucks cheaper.

here is a solid board to go with it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130071
this AMD baord has 2 PATA instead of 1 which may be important if he is keeping old optical drives and hard drives. this baord is also sli.
The E4600 can be overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz without any added parts. Simply change a few settings and your done. While I like AMD, the Core 2 Duo and Quad Core processors that Intel put out recently (to include the new Penryn chipsets) are simply dominating anything AMD has. I wont knock your choice of parts, but honestly, Intel took a page out of AMD's book and just really undercut them. Not only are the newer Intel chips faster, but they're dirt cheap. I paid $270 for my Quad Core E6600 2.4ghz 1066 FSB chip......

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

ok, what i have in my computer that i want to carry over(if i have to replace anything is) my two hard drives (40 gb slave, 100gb primary,) a 16x DL DVD burner, and a DVD Rom Drive, as well as any cards that fit into it, i have a sound card, a video card(only 16 mb so needs to be replaced anyways), and a network card, not worried about firewire(USB 2.0 is faster anyway), and all of my drives are running off of E-IDE cables (so i need 2 ide connectors on the motherboard) and everything else that i have should swap right over with few upgrades, might put this stuff on my xmas list

and could anybody tell me how to possible overclock my current processor, its a intel celeron at 600 MHZ(yes i know needs to be replaced)
It's not even worth trying to overclock that processor.....its too old and it would probably fry itself out..

I could build you a fairly good rig for around $400....and that would include all new parts except for a monitor...

Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i have two crt moniters that are still good, i only use one, the other is a back-up, and im looking for a list of parts so that i can put it on my xmas list, maybe the parents will buy the parts for me, but it still cant be too expensive or else i wont get everything, and than it would all be a waste, and i really dont need more hard drives, ive got a box of them, i jsut want to use the ones that i already have, but in order to do that i need to have 2 ide connectors on the motherboard,

and if you could put a parts list up on that system you were saying you could build i would appreciate, i need everything but drives, as i already have all hds and optical drives that i need

Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

600 celeron jesus christ thats painful. i have that in a labtop and i want to beat the **** out of it with a hammer everytime i turn it on and 10 minutes later when it is done loading xp.

i am an amd person, but i do admit intel has better chips out there. the phenom doesnt sound very impressive either.the reason i recommended that amd though was because if he doesnt want to mess with overclocking that chip is better for less. the motherboard i picked after the chip, but it seems to meet all his needs expecially the 2 pata.

i got a 6000+ for $150. i cant complain.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea, well the only time i do a cold shutdown is when i need a restart for installation of updates, other than that i just hibernate it, it only takes 3 min to start up

Quick Reply: parallel computers