DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-forum-site-issues-and-suggestions-125/)
-   -   Custom Built Computer ?? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-forum-site-issues-and-suggestions/144870-custom-built-computer.html)

2007 SLT Hemi Power 01-29-2008 09:45 PM

Custom Built Computer ??

Where is the best web site to order a custom built desktop??

shrpshtr325 02-03-2008 02:40 PM

RE: Custom Built Computer ??

dell has an option to let you pick components to go into you system, but iw ould not call it custom, if you know how to put the parts together on your own(and make sure that they match up) use newegg.com, or if you dont find a local microcenter and they have people on staff to help you do just what you want(check out www.microcenter.com)

SSG Lou 02-03-2008 04:29 PM

Depends on what you want it for.

Dakota_24 02-03-2008 07:23 PM

Here's a site: http://www.ditcorp.com/index.asp?url=IND

Altair 02-05-2008 02:15 AM

Talk to Jimboscomp here on DF, he runs a computer business and I'm pretty sure he builds them.

batman13 02-05-2008 04:19 PM

hell, i could build you one...
but dell is good if you want a good all around computer, and the prices arn't out of this world
if you're a gamer, or graphics artist, or specialized like that, i would'nt go with them

shrpshtr325 02-05-2008 05:33 PM

yea, if your into anything hard core(graphics/gaming) i would build it myself if i had the time/patience/knowledge(which i personally have, but you may not idk) but dell is the best premade windows pc manufacturer

Altair 02-05-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

yea, if your into anything hard core(graphics/gaming) i would build it myself if i had the time/patience/knowledge(which i personally have, but you may not idk) but dell is the best premade windows pc manufacturer
Only, and I repeat only if you plan to use your computer for basic things, never plan to upgrade it or do anything more computer-intensive with it. They use substandard proprietary motherboards and power supplies to save on costs (some other parts too). Honestly, none of the big name manufacturers provide a very good computer, what they provide is a very cheap computer, both in costs and in quality. I am currently typing this from a Dell XPS 700 desktop I picked up at a pawn shop ONLY because they were selling it at about 1/3 what the parts were worth. (Look at the last paragraph for my opinion of it)

I recommended jimboscomp because I have chatted with him on AIM many times and in my opinion he definitely knows what he's talking about. Here is a link to his website: http://www.jimboscomp.com/custom_computers.html

If I were you I would talk to him or find a small local place that builds computers (bring a friend that knows them well to make sure the guy isn't BS'ing you). Alternatively if you have a friend that knows computers well have them build you one (Obviously if warranty is important to you you will not get one with this method. Only whatever warranty the individual parts have.

(The following may make little sense to those who don't know computers well, sorry)
This particular desktop was claimed to be designed for maximum upgradability and high performance by Dell when it was made. I popped open the side recently and tried to install 4GB of ram. The motherboard is their own design, no overclocking available, very limited adjustability, could not support the higher quantity of ram. The "High performance" ram dell included is a no name brand of extremely questionable quality. The case and motherboard are their own design, a new motherboard could not even be placed in the case. In addition Dell originally claimed it would support an upgrade to quad core processors, it does not. Point being at the time it was made this was Dell's flagship model and it still uses sub-par components, now imagine what goes into their regular stuff.

BadStratRT 02-09-2008 01:20 PM

i will never, everbuy a computer that doesnt come off the shelves of a store.

real stores have real warranties, real customer service, a real place that you can go and say "hey, this thing ispos."

there is a reason that huge companies make lots of money building computers...because theyre good at it.

Altair 02-09-2008 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

i will never, everbuy a computer that doesnt come off the shelves of a store.

real stores have real warranties, real customer service, a real place that you can go and say "hey, this thing ispos."

there is a reason that huge companies make lots of money building computers...because theyre good at it.
I really can't agree with you, ever tried to return something at Best Buy? I've been hassled about returning small items there, I'm sure bigger stuff is even harder. I usually build my computers myself, had maybe 3 problems with my last computer that I used for 3 years and one of those was a part that came defective which Newegg.com replaced and gave me an upgrade for free because they didn't have that part in stock when I returned it.

The reason the huge companies make lots of money building computers is cost and advertising. Due to economies of scale and having cheaper proprietary parts made for them they can not only afford to bundle more accessories or sell the computer for less but in some cases ensure that any upgrades made to the computer will have to be bought from them at higher prices (Dell is notorious for this with system memory). I have helped friends fix many more problems with bought systems from companies like Dell or Gateway than ones that built it themselves or had it built for them. I always end up having to help them because these companies tech support is practically useless.

A local shop or someone that runs their own business building computers will give you much better service, not to mention you'll be dealing with a real person who actually built the computer and knows what they are doing instead of someone in India reading you steps from a troubleshooting checklist.