Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

What's better than this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's better than this?

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

It looks like right now I'll probably get what's posted below unless there's something better that comes up by may. Is it difficult to add ram to a laptop and is all new laptop ram the same? I know wheh I tried to add some to a newer desktop from an older one that the notches didn't allign so it wouldn't work.

Vostro 1500

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

LCD Panel

15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLifeâ„¢

Memory

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

Hard Drive

160GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive, 7200RPM, for Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook

Establish Hard Drive Partition

None

Optical Drive

8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ Roxio Creator

Video Cards

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

MediaDirect

Dell Exclusive MediaDirectâ„¢ Instant Play Software Application

Wireless Cards

Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Memory is pretty simple. Turn the laptop off, flip it over, unscrew one screw, and pop it out. It'll tell you the specific specs on the stick of memory....so just take it with you to the store or write it down.

Since your going with 2GB of memory, there probably wont be much need for an upgrade......but its relatively simple to do.

All memory is the same except when switching between DDR, DDR2, and DDR3....as they all have different pin counts....but DDR2 500 will fit DDR2 667mhz...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:57 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

All memory is the same except when switching between DDR, DDR2, and DDR3....as they all have different pin counts....but DDR2 500 will fit DDR2 667mhz...
I would recommend going to a memory manufacturer's (such as Crucial or Corsair) website and plugging the computer you have into their memory configurator which will tell you what your computer can take. What Devils said above is true for the most part but it's not always that simple. Depending on the computer some motherboards are pickier than others as to what they'll run on (which I found out the hard way with this freaking Dell...) Dell computers often have compatibility issues with ram other than the type dell will sell you (coincidence? doubt it. I say this both from what I have read on computer forums and my own experience with an XPS desktop).

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Altair

I would recommend going to a memory manufacturer's (such as Crucial or Corsair) website and plugging the computer you have into their memory configurator which will tell you what your computer can take. What Devils said above is true for the most part but it's not always that simple. Depending on the computer some motherboards are pickier than others as to what they'll run on (which I found out the hard way with this freaking Dell...) Dell computers often have compatibility issues with ram other than the type dell will sell you (coincidence? doubt it. I say this both from what I have read on computer forums and my own experience with an XPS desktop).
Coming from a Dell certified tech, and having worked with Dells for about 8 years..... I've never had any issues with memory and Dell computers. That doesnt mean they dont exist, because I've heard of a fair share of issues on several computers, not just Dell. The only issues I've ever had that involved memory and Dell computers at all was when we'd get sentmemory that wasnt the exact specs we asked for, and that's not any issue with the memory itself, just that it wasnt the right specs.

However, Altair is right. It never hurts to make sure you know what memory will fit and what wont. Things have changed alot in the last 2-3 years with computers...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Coming from a Dell certified tech, and having worked with Dells for about 8 years..... I've never had any issues with memory and Dell computers. That doesnt mean they dont exist, because I've heard of a fair share of issues on several computers, not just Dell. The only issues I've ever had that involved memory and Dell computers at all was when we'd get sentmemory that wasnt the exact specs we asked for, and that's not any issue with the memory itself, just that it wasnt the right specs.
That's very interesting news for me, I had ordered 4GB of Corsair DDR2 for the XPS700 I picked up at a pawn shop. Could not get it to boot into Windows for the life of me, after speaking with a Corsair representative on the phone he told me that most of the ram they make for Dell is special made to Dell's specs and that most ram you can buy at Newegg etc... would not work well in a Dell computer. Sounds like he was giving me the run-around then, luckily Newegg took the ram back.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

That's very interesting news for me, I had ordered 4GB of Corsair DDR2 for the XPS700 I picked up at a pawn shop. Could not get it to boot into Windows for the life of me, after speaking with a Corsair representative on the phone he told me that most of the ram they make for Dell is special made to Dell's specs and that most ram you can buy at Newegg etc... would not work well in a Dell computer. Sounds like he was giving me the run-around then, luckily Newegg took the ram back.
Sounds more like b.s. to me then actualfact. Dont get me wrong, there's always going to be a brand or two that has issues with some computer....but I dont know why you'd have had any issues with that XPS700 and memory.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a older Dell notebook (Inspirion 6000) and desktop (Dimension 4600), and both took non-Dell memory like champs. (Well, didn't seem to make any differance on the notebook, but mines a lemon anyways)

Pretty off topic here, but DevilsReject, I just made a system with the Q6600, and all 4 cores are running, idle, around 44-46*C and with all 4 cores running at 100%, around 65-67*C (per CPUID Hardware Monitor and Core Temp). What heatsink are you using/would you recommend, and what temps are you getting?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Sounds more like b.s. to me then actualfact. Dont get me wrong, there's always going to be a brand or two that has issues with some computer....but I dont know why you'd have had any issues with that XPS700 and memory.

Yeah it certainly looks that way. Either way I think I'll make do with 2 gigs for now, by the time I really need 4gigs that badly it will be time to get rid of this thing and build myself another computer. I'll give Dell credit for building a pretty decent rig with this thing but I'm still disappointed with the upgradeability. Apparently I found out they offered XPS700 users a free motherboard upgrade at the end of last year but I bought the computer after it was over and the previous owner never had it done, wish I'd gotten that because it would allow it to support quad-core processors. You wouldn't happen to know if there's still any way to get those would you?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86
Pretty off topic here, but DevilsReject, I just made a system with the Q6600, and all 4 cores are running, idle, around 44-46*C and with all 4 cores running at 100%, around 65-67*C (per CPUID Hardware Monitor and Core Temp). What heatsink are you using/would you recommend, and what temps are you getting?
My current Quad Core is using the Dell heatsink/casefan setup, and is also running a Nvidia 8800 series card.....so those two combined push some diff numbers then what you may....simply due to the hardware...

Yeah it certainly looks that way. Either way I think I'll make do with 2 gigs for now, by the time I really need 4gigs that badly it will be time to get rid of this thing and build myself another computer. I'll give Dell credit for building a pretty decent rig with this thing but I'm still disappointed with the upgradeability. Apparently I found out they offered XPS700 users a free motherboard upgrade at the end of last year but I bought the computer after it was over and the previous owner never had it done, wish I'd gotten that because it would allow it to support quad-core processors. You wouldn't happen to know if there's still any way to get those would you?
Sometimes you just get systems that are crap....same goes with certain motherboards, video cards, etc..... they're intended to be great, but something else comes out and blows it out of the water. Chances are, it was probably a warranty upgrade. You could always contact Dell about it. Honestly though, their newer systems are actually pretty decent.....