Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Driver Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Billiam
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Help

HELP! I want to update all the drivers on my computer...where can I go to do it for free?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to the manufacturer's website, go to their support page, type in your model into their search feature, download the drivers for the appropriate system (XP, Vista, or etc.).

HP? Dell? ...

Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Billiam
Champion

Its a Dell..

I went to the Dell site before I posted here, and every one I found is one that wont work. I was debating on backin up my comp then doing a PC Restore to bring some missing data back, but I was told dont. So now Im stuck. Its nothing major, I just want to fix my little issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Shadow67

You should have a service tag number on a Dell. If you enter that number, it should list your specific hardware, unless things have been upgraded or changed. You just have to watch, some of the drivers are for optional components (notably the gigabit lan driver). Some are also control software or firmware. You only want the drivers.

Is there a specific issue? If it's graphics related, you can go to ati.com or nvidia.com directly. They have much more up to date drivers than Dell will. Just make sure the are whql certified if possible.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiam
Its a Dell..

I went to the Dell site before I posted here, and every one I found is one that wont work. I was debating on backin up my comp then doing a PC Restore to bring some missing data back, but I was told dont. So now Im stuck. Its nothing major, I just want to fix my little issues.
Your gonna have to be more specific than that. If you can get a list of hardware components, then it should be fairly easy to find the updated drivers on the net.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Billiam
Champion

Well after fighting some of it, I got a lot done. I had the help of Rich on aim. But I'm trying to deal with my .net framework and I cant get it uninstalled to reinstall it... going to the add remover wont work, doing a search of the comp didn't find it.

The major issue is something having to do with my .net work. Let me see if I can get a screen print of the error, or type it in. Ok, I got a print of em, these are the errors I am trying to fix. They pop up when I turn on my comp, and try to access my Media Center.

Name:  Error1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  121.4 KB
Name:  Error2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  117.6 KB
Name:  Fatal.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  119.6 KB

Last edited by Billiam; 07-09-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try uninstalling the newest versions of the .net framework first.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Billiam
Champion

I havent tried that yet...but I might...
Well maybe after i figure out why when i turned on my comp it said my firewall was off... and I cant get the damn thing turn back on.

For some reason my puter wont install this... its been like that for a while. I forgot to mention it.

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)

Last edited by Billiam; 07-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I circled two of your problems. I'm guessing without more information about what programs are on your computer and what you do with it, but the Firewall problem sounds like a virus to me. Whether thats whats causing at least some of your other problems or not, possibly.

If you are going to use a free AV program, have everything backed up and be prepared to reformat every once in a while. AVG is not a good AV, there are even other freebies out there that are better. What else do you have to protect you against viruses/spyware besides AVG? If all you are going to use is a free AV, you need other forms of protection as well to even pretend to make a difference.

Internet Explorer is also one of the worst browsers to use, its slower than pretty much every other one out there, and is pretty much the worst when it comes to safety. Firefox is much better, Safari, Opera, Chrome...

Last edited by jasonw; 07-10-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by Billiam
I havent tried that yet...but I might...
Well maybe after i figure out why when i turned on my comp it said my firewall was off... and I cant get the damn thing turn back on.

For some reason my puter wont install this... its been like that for a while. I forgot to mention it.

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)

This one is a common occurrance. I had to install this a few damn times to get it to take. The best way to install this is download it manually from the downloads section on MS.com. Then install it. Dont use the auto updates...

Quick Reply: Driver Help