DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-forum-site-issues-and-suggestions-125/)
-   -   network connection setting issues (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-forum-site-issues-and-suggestions/220234-network-connection-setting-issues.html)

shrpshtr325 11-03-2009 11:59 PM

network connection setting issues

im usually pretty good with computers but i just cant figure this one out, it comes and goes, and i only seem to get it when im plugged into my own internal network (wired or wireless)on campus (i have my own wireless router set up in my room on campus which i connect to most of the time) when i am connected to the schools wireless network i dont seem to get the issue. The connection just drops at random and stays down for a while, but it always comes back on its own. when the connection drops and i click on the "troubleshoot connection problems" icon this is what it "finds"

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_tbFOZWZ0qYI/S.../s800/erro.jpg

any help would be great, iv tried everything i can think of and cant get it fixed

EDIT: this is on windows 7 BTW

jasonw 11-04-2009 02:47 AM

Just so we're straight here...

You have a dorm room on campus. You have a wireless router plugged into an ethernet jack in this dorm room. Correct?

My network experience is mostly limited to smaller networks, however, I believe this problem is at least partially related to the fact that you have a router plugged into an ethernet jack that has a cable that travels for who knows how many feet to a switch, which probably has another ethernet cable(s) that travel to another switch or firewall, which probably goes to a router (or it may be one device thats a combination of the last two or three).

The problem, in summary, may be because whenever you try and "stack" two routers in the same network, one plugged into the other (or communicating with each other via switches), you usually get problems unless you turn at least some of the "routing" features of the second router off.

It also could be a router problem. Which brand and model of router are you using?

ksiiqtaboo 11-04-2009 05:45 AM

im also having the same problem it drops randomly and comes back... but mine is in a home im using the motorola wr850g i just cant figure this out... and im good with this kinda stuff. im also running off windows 7 release client

shrpshtr325 11-04-2009 11:31 AM

jasonw you are pretty much correct, but im just down the hall from the network room in this building maybe 50 feet max, and yes i have my router running as a router, i want the security of not just anybody being able to access my server, and other people seem to running similar setups without any problems

the router is a netgear wgr614v9

also, i do know that the school has one firewall between their routers and the internet, none besides that as far as i know, and idk if this is relevant, but each computer gets an IP on the internal network which is the same as what shows up on the outside (as if you are on a modem which is set up as a dmz host to forward all traffic through to one computer)

jasonw 11-04-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ksiiqtaboo (Post 1863877)
im also having the same problem it drops randomly and comes back... but mine is in a home im using the motorola wr850g i just cant figure this out... and im good with this kinda stuff. im also running off windows 7 release client

"Release client"? Do you mean Windows 7 RC? If so, thats not "release client", thats Release Candidate.

What computer are you connecting to this router with? Does it drop no matter what PC you use, or does it seem that one computer has more drops than another?

How old is the router?

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 (Post 1864181)
jasonw you are pretty much correct, but im just down the hall from the network room in this building maybe 50 feet max, and yes i have my router running as a router, i want the security of not just anybody being able to access my server, and other people seem to running similar setups without any problems

The distance wasn't really a concern, ethernet is pretty good over hundreds upon hundreds of feet as long as the right cabling is used.

the router is a netgear wgr614v9
That router tends to have issues more often than many. I'm not saying the router is the issue (at least, not yet), but people buy them all the time against our recommendation at my place of work, and they've always had a higher than normal return rate. Part of that is, of course, user error, but a lot of it is also hardware issues.

also, i do know that the school has one firewall between their routers and the internet, none besides that as far as i know, and idk if this is relevant, but each computer gets an IP on the internal network which is the same as what shows up on the outside (as if you are on a modem which is set up as a dmz host to forward all traffic through to one computer)
Does that IP change day to day or over a certain length of time (IP renewal), or is there one assigned to your room or the ethernet jack?

Normally, a router is set up to acquire its IP from the ISP, in this case, your school's network. If there is a router on router miscommunication, so to speak, your router may try to renew or acquire its IP address or some other settings and it can't get one/them.

Basically, try to fill in things manually as possible, rather than letting the router "automatically" do this or that. Note: Back up your current settings so that, if you really mess something up, you can at least go back to your partially working setup.

shrpshtr325 11-04-2009 11:11 PM

actually i have to have it setup to automatically detect the ip address, (the school wouldnt allow it to connect when i had it set up to request a static IP :( )but i do have my own DNS server address programed into it, and at the place i worked this summer we used netgear hardware almost exclusively, but iv been thinking about getting myself a wireless N gigabit router and setting this one up at home as a wireless access point/network switch in my room

i actually tried setting the router up with DD-WRT but it doesnt work without modifying the hardware which im not willing to do, if you know of any other open-source firmware id be more than willing to try that, i also checked the firmware and flashed it to the newest version i could find on their website

ksiiqtaboo 11-05-2009 10:48 AM

both my pcs seem to do it equally. both are run wireless if that has anything to do with it im not sure.

bruno426 11-06-2009 05:12 PM

okay there is one thing here that has failed to be asked, I saw some where up there dorm/school. Does the school require you to run some sort of software?

Second, what do you use to find viruses spyware trojans worms, that sort of thing.

Lastly do you download torrents, access off the wall sites?

Most of the schools that I have had to work on have had some type of SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) Most run Bradford Persistince agent. Some run others. Heres the thing. If both machines are getting knocked off at the same time, the connection to the router is begin severed. If not it is the router. Lets go this route, do they require students to register game consoles mac addresses before they can get them online?

If so you can try to set the router mac as one of the game consoles you will knock off whoever is online, but if you run great they are mac filtering the gameconsoles, and there fore either by you yourself or a piece of software on the pc you are accessing something they dont want you to, say a certian port or site, perhaps even public IP address.

Ill wait to say more untill I see some replys from you on some of the questions that I asked.

shrpshtr325 11-08-2009 04:41 PM

ok dorm room connection is correct, yes they require you to register the ethernet connector mac address in order to get a game console/second computer online, i have that mac address set to the routers mac address, i am not access any off the wall sites, and i run comodo internet security as my a/v and firewall software, and the second computer (actually functioning as a server) is running linux so i have nothing running on there except my samba share and ventrillo server

Kensai 11-11-2009 09:56 PM

If you have a buddy with a spare wireless router, try replacing the netgear. I never had much luck with netgear products nor dlink products working consistently. The only product that I used and is pretty reliable is Linksys products. Now built by Cisco, it is a better product. We use linksys wireless access points in most of our small satellite offices. I installed lots of linksys wireless routers in alot of homes and so far, no one came back to complain of any connectivity issues. Plus some linksys products, they have all kinds of cool features not found in most other products.