Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Locking old threads by timeout

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Locking old threads by timeout

I know there is a way to do it. It annoys me when new people bring up a thread thats 3 or 5 or 8 years old.

Anything over 2 years old doesn't deserve to be unlocked and replied to....

Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I don’t disagree but I think we brought this up awhile back and the powers that be shot it down.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The powers that be need to wake up! Obviously they are not on here.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
The powers that be need to wake up! Obviously they are not on here.
Yeah, they are....watching us....

Old 07-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I noticed there is a post about a "like" button. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...likes-115.html
Now how about a "dislike" button for old posts (years old!) that are still open?

The forum i was on(main Dodge forum) before i sighed up here used to great. At some point it was taken over by autoguide and they ran it into the ground. Site changes lost passwords and their refusal to change anything (after multiple posts on the subjects including moderators) resulted in EVERYONE leaving the site. Point is they need to start doing things that benefit the users. I don't remember seeing any posts about adding a "like" button. I DO see posts about years old posts like this one. How about suspending old posts? This way it can be opened back up with a request to a moderator if need be. This way it will keep the newbe's from posting on 10 year old posts. Anybody "like" this?

Old 07-29-2019, 01:36 PM
IB Jason
IB Staff
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, Moparite. We announced the new Like button in late June, but the announcement was only up for a month. I've since reposted it here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-f...likes-115.html

Regarding locking old threads, we appreciate the suggestion but don't plan to implement such a feature. While we understand that some may not find bumped old threads useful, the member who bumped it may have done so because they want to build on an existing conversation or ask a question in the context of that conversation. Our primary concern is that asking new members to first identify a moderator, PM that moderator, and only then be allowed to ask their question requires enough extra steps that it would deter these newer members from using DodgeForum as a resource altogether.

Likewise, we're hesitant to add any sort of dislike button to call out old posts since it wouldn't add to the conversation. We did discuss the idea of potentially supporting a dislike button for identifying incorrect technical advice, but decided against it since the button wouldn't allow for that information to then be corrected. Right now, if someone has wrong information and someone else knows it's incorrect, the default action is to reply and explain the right answer.

All that said, we are always looking at ways to better surface information in a way that helps new members without necessarily drudging up posts from years past. While we don't have any concrete plans to share just yet, it is an idea we continue to explore.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (07-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Locking old threads by timeout