DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Intrepid (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-intrepid-31/)
-   -   2.7L Hysteria? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-intrepid/166987-2-7l-hysteria.html)

pgitta 07-01-2008 10:12 AM

2.7L Hysteria?

Yes, I am aware of the problems people have had with the 2.7. Yes, I realize this engine may need meticulous maintenance.

But really. The predjudice against this engine borders on mass hysteria IMO. I have a 2.7L that yes, spun two bearings, but had zero sludge. I don't know why it did, maybe the previous owner ran it dry. Maybe Jiffy Lube forgot to put oil back in it. Maybe the Gods were ticked that day. Who knows.

Either way, i'm going to tear it down, replace the two rods, crank, timing kit, oil pump and whatever else is out of specs and put it back.

I asked accurate engines if they sold parts, and got an email saying "It won't last long replacing just a few parts"

Oh yeah? Care to tell me why exactly? If all out of spec parts are new?

Man, you'd think this engine was satan himself. Is EVERYONE down on this engine, or are there still some cooler heads around?

kurts2 07-01-2008 12:04 PM

RE: 2.7L Hysteria?

Don't be crazy! This engine is NOT Satan...he only played a part in it's creation and the torture of the souls who purchased one!:-)

I guess the reason so many people are down on it was this engine came on the heals of the 3.5. Maybe they expected the same rugged high performance with better fuel economy. I know I looked at one in 00 and the dealer hailed it as more powerful than the 3.5. I test drove one and was not impressed. I stuck with my first gen. What many got was an engine that died under 20K. To make matters worse, from quite a few posts I read, many times the warranty was not honored because the owner could not produce adequate records of oil changes. Now I don't know about you, but I do not save all my small purchase receipts (few quarts of oil and a filter) and I do my own oil changes. If it were me, I don't think I could produce them either.

I have owned my 3.5 1’st gen for more than 10 years. It has eaten a few sensors (2 MAP, 2 CAM, 1 CRANK, 2 O2 sensors, and 1 coil pack) through the years, but I still love it. It occasionally has small issues, but I still trust it on long drives. If I owned a 2.7, I don't think I'd feel the same too far from home.

pgitta 07-01-2008 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: kurts2

I guess the reason so many people are down on it was this engine came on the heals of the 3.5. Maybe they expected the same rugged high performance with better fuel economy. I know I looked at one in 00 and the dealer hailed it as more powerful than the 3.5. I test drove one and was not impressed. I stuck with my first gen. What many got was an engine that died under 20K. To make matters worse, from quite a few posts I read, many times the warranty was not honored because the owner could not produce adequate records of oil changes. Now I don't know about you, but I do not save all my small purchase receipts (few quarts of oil and a filter) and I do my own oil changes. If it were me, I don't think I could produce them either.

No, no way I save oil records either as I too do it myself. The more I read about this thing, (since I have read many websites reviews from owners on these engines) is that:

A) They require a little more attention to maintenance than others, but nothing crazy like 2 week oil changes

B) They are just not as over-engineered as other engines and thus cannot tolerate abuse from owners as well.

C) They may have a original water pump leak issue.

D) They should probably recommend synthetic oil for them.

Other than that, I have come across many, many testimonials of people over 150K miles with yes...the dreaded 2.7L

Also, I worked as a Service Advisor for 12 years before they went from "advisor" to "salesmen". (Fired from my last SA position for refusing to recommend $600 oil flushes at Pontiac)

Every customer has his own idea of "kept up on the maintenance"

kurts2 07-01-2008 09:19 PM

OK, you are telling me you prefer an engine with less power that requires more attention to maintenance, can not tolerate abuse as well, and that really needs more expensive oil to operate? All this to get to the 150K mile point? Again, here lies the core issue...what was expected, and what was packaged. It's just not as good! Many people swap in the 3.3, 3.2 or the 3.5 once the 2.7 blows up. I don't blame them. I would too.

Kurt

pgitta 07-02-2008 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: kurts2

OK, you are telling me you prefer an engine with less power that requires more attention to maintenance, can not tolerate abuse as well, and that really needs more expensive oil to operate? All this to get to the 150K mile point? Again, here lies the core issue...what was expected, and what was packaged. It's just not as good! Many people swap in the 3.3, 3.2 or the 3.5 once the 2.7 blows up. I don't blame them. I would too.

Kurt

No, I'm telling you I prefer not to cut exhaust pipes, add engine mounts, bend A/C pipes, etc, and I prefer to spend $900 for parts and have a 2.7 with 0 miles, than roll the dice, spend $1800and get a 3.2 with 75,000 miles and who knows what left in it.

I also prefer to have the better mileage and to keep the vehicle original.

I never said it was as good as the 3.2/3.5, just not complete turd people are making it out to be.

Midnight SRT 07-17-2008 04:32 AM

Sludge FAQ: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1369541/tm.htm