DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Intrepid (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-intrepid-31/)
-   -   virbration (no noise) during high speeds (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-intrepid/167414-virbration-no-noise-during-high-speeds.html)

deezozdodge 07-04-2008 02:17 PM

virbration (no noise) during high speeds

02 - 2.7 liter, Dodge Intrepid:

It was dark, and I hit an island curb on the front driver's side. I hear no clicking or clunking sound on that side; however, vibration is noticed while negotiating right freeway curves @ 63/65 mph. Vehicle drives fine going straight. Did balance on the tires twice and still vibrates.

Possible causes for vibrations:

Ball joint :eek:?
outer cv joint :eek:?
driveaxle :eek:?
wheel bearings :eek:?
bent rim :eek:? (but if rim is bent, the service people performing the balance on tires would've caught it)

Any advise.

oh, and to all - go to www.ehow.com and type in a search in the window, then click the video tab above. they have some cool stuff on how to repair things... ;)

kurts2 07-11-2008 01:03 PM

RE: virbration (no noise) during high speeds

Might be damage to the tire rod end. Take to a front end shop and try having an alingment done.

deezozdodge 07-11-2008 05:46 PM

Thanks for reply. Before I take it to a shop, I'll inspect things and see what I can find. I will shimmy the tire and wheel for play. We'll see. I'll post what I find after the fix...;)

DESIREESAVENGER 07-11-2008 06:12 PM

Look at the inner tie rod bushings.

deezozdodge 07-11-2008 06:15 PM

OK, I'll look at the inner tie rod bushings, thanks...;)

kurts2 07-11-2008 08:27 PM

The inner can't be thrown out of alignment, just clunk around... I believe it's only an "eye bolt head" with a bushing. I was thinking more the outer with your symptons however, I find it much easier to have an alingment preformed (for low flat rate). They tell you what is wrong, you fix, then have another done (if needed) after the repair. I know it's cheating, but for a few $$, it saves headaches!

deezozdodge 07-11-2008 08:54 PM

Good call, taking it to the shop for an alignment; however, the vehicle is not pulling.Would vibrationsbe felt if alignment is off? I always thought when alignment is off, the vehicle pulls to one side.

I also notice that when I perform slight accelerations, the vehicle does a soft shift to the left. Now, a passenger would not notice this, but I definetly notice it due to the hard hit on that island curb on the left front. I suspecting cv, but not quite sure. Tie rod ends I will inspect or like you stated take it to the shop.

kurts2 07-11-2008 09:12 PM

Not always...with a damaged component (not just out of alingment), things can shake as the tire shimmies. During an alignment, any worn or damaged components must be replaced or the alingnment (usally under a 90 day warentee) will not hold. This is when you let them know you will seek repairs (or do your self), and come back. If you remove carefully (counting turns etc) you can just it very close. Then drive it in for a full final alingnment!

As for the CV...it could be, but I'm not sure an impact would break a CV before it broke another componet. Additionaly, you say it's ok unless in a turn. It has been my exp that CV willcause vibration in straight as well as turns, usually at some specific seep it's worse. Anyway, after an alingnment/inspection, there wouldn't be too much left. This may be tried at a later date...like I siad it's kind of cheating, but it saves on the headaches!!

Kurt

deezozdodge 07-12-2008 09:36 AM

I inspecting the wheel for play. Surprisingly, I did not get any play on that driver's side, which I thought would've caused the problem due to the hit on that island curb. It was the passenger side that had a whole lot of play. After moving the tire and wheel with my hands up and down, I found no play; however, moving the tire and wheel with my hands from side to side, there was a whole lot of play. Checking my tie rod ends and tracing back to the inner tie rod, I found that the inner tie rod end bushing was chewed up and causing the play. A simple fix and only $10.00. I will try this first and run the car.

The shift while accelerating and the vibration is probably caused by the spacer bushing on the inner tie rod. I'll replace and post the results here. ;)

deezozdodge 07-12-2008 02:02 PM

OK, I replaced the inner tie rod bushings and all is well :DThanks guys for the input...