2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

1999 Intrepid radiator fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM
rp1288
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Intrepid radiator fan problem

Ok I have a 1999 2.7L Intrepid. The fans didn't turn on so I went and bought one relay and switched one out to check if that was the problem. It didn't solve the problem but when the engine was on I pulled one of the relays out and then both fans started to work. I then turned off the car and put the relay back in. I started the car, the fans did not start. I once again pulled the relay out ( the other one this time) and the fans both started. I then put the relay back in and turned off the car. I then pulled the wires off the coolant temperture sensor and started the car. With both relays in and the wire to the sensor disconnected. I started the car and the fans both turned on. So I replaced the coolant temperture sensor and put the both relays in and the wires back to the sensor and started the car, Fans didnt move. I once again pulled one relay out and the fans started. Put the relay back in and then disconnected the wires to the sensor, started it up and the fans started. Plugged the wires back and started the car once more and the fans did not start up.

When the fans are not running they never come on untill I do something ( I left the car running and got the temperture gauge to almost the halfway point to get it hot). Once I do something to get the fans running they never go off untill I turn the car off. I don't know what else to replace to get this problem solved. I don't have any of the fancy tools like a code reader to test things but I did the trick with turning the key three times and got code P1490 and P1489 ( both are relay problem codes)

Thank you in advance for any help you all can give to me and Happy New Year.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
1lowtc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dealing with the same issue as far as p1490 is concerned. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Name:  p1490-2.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  146.2 KB
The complete step number 5 was cut off, here is the complete step.
5. Disconnect low speed fan relay. Low speed fan relay is located in Power Distribution Center. Using a 12-volt test light, check voltage on fused ignition switch output circuit at low speed fan relay connector. If test light is brightly illuminated,go to next step. If test light is not brightly illuminated,repair open fused ignition switch output circuit.

Name:  testrelay.gif
Views: 893
Size:  7.0 KB

Quick Reply: 1999 Intrepid radiator fan problem