Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

Tri-Metal or SI Main Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
LESchwartz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri-Metal or SI Main Bearings

I didn't have good oil pressure, so I pulled the mains: Journal #1 had some abrasion and a wall thickness about 0.003 under spec (which is 0.098"). The rest of the mains were another story altogether: Journals #2, #3 & #4 all had severe surface abrasion and wall thickness about 0.015" less than spec . . . I guess I know where my oil pressure was going!

I've inspected the crank. and it seems undamaged. I can't fit my caliper up into the motor to measure the crank, but since it seems undamaged I'm inclined to just replace the mains and drive the car till it's dead . . . besides, I don't have the time or inclination to pull the motor to get the crank out. In any case, the new bearings are going to be many times better than the old ones.

So here's my question -- Which bearing material would be better for my application (new bearings w/o a crank regrind): Clevite's tri-metal or King's Silicon Impregnated Aluminum?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Quick Reply: Tri-Metal or SI Main Bearings