Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

tire size ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
kcdaniels
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire size ?

My wife has a 09 journey with the 225/55/19 tires, well after 23000 mi time for new tires, it seems that this is a hard to find size and I do not want to go with the komo brand that came with the car.
Can I go with another tire size like 245/50/19 or something else ?

At this point I wished I had the 18" as you have a lot better selection of tires.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would recommend against using a different size. the tire size is programmed into the computors and a different size will effect shifting, speedo, etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah 19s are a PIA to find any type of an assortment in. One I bought for my mom has 17s on it so it should be relatively easy to find tires, but since she averages about 3k a year, I hope that won't be for quite a while.

I don't blame you on a different brand than the Komos, 23k is pathetic.

Might want to see what you can get in a BFG Long Trail T/A. I had them on my Grand Cherokee and they wore VERY well. I put just shy of 25k miles on them and they showed only minute signs of wear.
Only reason I pulled them off is I have started to use my 4x4 GC for trips up to my farmland/camping and fishing to kinda pile mileage up on it and conserve my truck for when I need it and have had to put a few plugs in those tires.
Had to go to an off-road type tire with a thicker ply rating. But unless you are gonna go off-road or drive around an old farm with screws/nails and other jagged metal sh*t all over the place, the BFGs should serve you well.

If you find you have to settle on a different size, have the dealer re-calibrate the speedo so you do not have any issues. Most will do it for free if you go where you bought the vehicle...

Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 AM
kcdaniels
Amateur

Hey thanks for the replies, well look like my choices are Komo or Komo in the stock 225/55/19 lol I have called the dealer, tire kingdom,Sears, tire rack.com and just about all the local tire shops and they said my only choice is Komo in that size.

Just a word of caution, stay away from the 19" rims and go with the 17" or 18" all of which are stock options.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM
slowthorp

The Dodge engineer who put a totally unique tire on the Dodge Journey should be strung up and beaten with baseball bats. Why on earth would you do this?? My wife's Journey need 2 new tires, I spent an hour on the phone calling every tire place and dealer in the area trying to find some in stock. When I finally did, I had to drive an hour and a half and spend $575 to have 2 new tires put on!! WTF, $575!! These idiots have no regard for the consumer!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 PM
RebelThunder

good vehicle except for the odd bolt pattern and tire choices,

Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
brw.engel
Default Kuhmo tires...

I too have the 19" tires on my Journey. I now have 48,000 miles on my tires and they are close to being replaced. This Solus tire is a 60,000 mile tire, so I don't think that my almost 50,000 miles are too bad.

My biggest concern is that I'm out on a long road trip and blow one out. That stow-away spare tire won't get me home, and as others have found, this tire isn't readily avaiable. That may leave you stranded out of town for a few days until you find a tire and have it UPS'd overnight. I've considered replacing my stow-away with a full size of one that I'm about to replace; I'd just have to buy a wheel. and I'm not sure if it'll fit under the car.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM
RebelThunder

Originally Posted by brw.engel
I too have the 19" tires on my Journey. I now have 48,000 miles on my tires and they are close to being replaced. This Solus tire is a 60,000 mile tire, so I don't think that my almost 50,000 miles are too bad.

My biggest concern is that I'm out on a long road trip and blow one out. That stow-away spare tire won't get me home, and as others have found, this tire isn't readily avaiable. That may leave you stranded out of town for a few days until you find a tire and have it UPS'd overnight. I've considered replacing my stow-away with a full size of one that I'm about to replace; I'd just have to buy a wheel. and I'm not sure if it'll fit under the car.
looks like it will not fit.cause the spare tire fits perfectly underneath without any extra space at all.I wanted to do that too but where would I put it?lol

Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well thankfully I won't have to worry about replacing tires on my mother's Journey for a little while. Like stated, her's has 17" wheels, so tire choices should be abundant, but I traded her three year old Grand Caravan in with 14k miles on it and this Journey is about to turn one year old and it's just now fixin' to flip to 3000 miles on it...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM
ImSybilized
Default 225/55r19

Believe it or not those tires are 60,000mi tires, I had to replace mine too after 45,000 miles. Kumho refused us any prorate on tire warranty claiming wear on the tire is based on driving conditions.

They are indeed a very hard tire to find, unless you want to pay premium dollar to a dodge dealership who will charge you roughly 40-60 more than what other tire resources list them for. They are constantly on "national backorder" I found a second round of 4 tires from tire-easy.com for $190 a tire, substantially less than $250 that our local dodge dealership have them. The first time I needed a tire replacement was 2 weeks after buying the tire, it took me 10 days that was from a dealership, guess what, the spare tire on the Journey R/T is a donut, these wheels are 19" your not supposed to drive a donut further than to the next exit folks. How retarded is that?

The problem with putting a smaller wheel on the car is that the speedometer is set for a 19" wheel, you will need to get the speedometer recalibrated for the smaller wheel.

What we did was take the best two of four tires and set them aside in our storage shed, if we need a tire replaced suddenly at least we have something to pull from until we get it replaced. This was a god send on our next tire need. Our two rear tires bubbled and the tread began to split revealing the steel belts within. This was NOT good. This developed on a road trip no less, the last 200 miles was a very tense ride. After arriving home we put two tires on that were in storage and began our quest for another set of tires.

Originally Posted by kcdaniels
My wife has a 09 journey with the 225/55/19 tires, well after 23000 mi time for new tires, it seems that this is a hard to find size and I do not want to go with the komo brand that came with the car.
Can I go with another tire size like 245/50/19 or something else ?

At this point I wished I had the 18" as you have a lot better selection of tires.

Thanks,

Dan

Quick Reply: tire size ?