Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by glock9mm69
Me and My Husband decided to have 2009 Dodge Journey. When the time we bought this car it has 70k miles on it.
Our problem is the gear stuck park shift lock. Ken Garff dealer told us the Win Module was bad and it cost us $650. But after they changed it, the gear still stuck. They told us interlock mechanism needs to be replaced and this cost another $300. They said the interlock mechanism is not bad, just need to be cleaned, they saw a sticky liquid spilled on the interlock mechanism that cause the interlock stuck.
Is there anybody out there know how to remove the center console of 2009 Dodge Journey? I want to try to clean it so save up some money.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to DF! Please start your own thread. Your problem is completely different that the OP's issue. Thanks.

To the OP, I have an 09 and have not experienced any issues similar to yours and I'm truying to understand how this issue is putting customers "in danger"?

Last edited by jkeaton; 06-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
To the OP, I have an 09 and have not experienced any issues similar to yours and I'm truying to understand how this issue is putting customers "in danger"?
It's the 18th and no update? Surely they didn't just want to come and post 2 dealers' names then leave without a complete story. As for myself, I really don't like speculation. That's what caused the "bubble"

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Scott.sarina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's terrific that you have an 09 and "have not experienced any issues similar" to mine. I hope it remains this way for your sake. However, there are a substantial amount of consumers who experience the exact same issues which is frightening. The "danger" that I was referring to is the fact that your Journey can start to experience some sort of electrical malfunction while driving (on a crowded freeway for example which happened to me May 2013) and shut off after experiencing the issues of your car not turning over which happens to me very often. I had my car towed and as I mentioned was told "it's fine and they can't duplicate the problem" seems to be a pretty dangerous problem to me don't you think?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You have other electrical problems too? Not just a starting problem? Do you need some advice?

If so, give us in depth descriptions of what is happening, who did repairs and what repairs.

Have you had the door wiring harness recal done yet? If one of those little teenie wires in the door jamb breaks and touches just in the right manner, the internal high speed BUS will interfere with the WIN module "start/run" signals that it sends out to the PCM and TIPM.

Put your zip code in the deaer finder on Chrysler's website. Find a dealer you haven't used yet, talk to the Service Manager ahead of time and make arrangements to drop it somewhere and let them spend time with it. Being loaded with computers, there's a limit as to what we can do here, but we will try. Post the city you're in so someone can maybe direct you to their dealer.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-20-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Crickets.....

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Crickets.....
All I can hear are Cicadas

Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Scott.sarina
Default Jkeaton

Originally Posted by TNtech
All I can hear are Cicadas
Jkeaton from whom are you looking for a response and regarding what? Hopefully I can silence those Cicadas for you!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

The questions posed by TNtech....give us more info so we can help you.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 PM
joe.schmitz
Default Same Issue

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey and today had the same problem with starting the car. Earlier today, my wife tried starting it and it just clicked. On the 2nd time turning it, it started right up. Then tonight, we tried and nothing, just a click multiple times. After waiting about a half hour then tried it and started right up. I didn't have to put it in neutral but will try that if need be.

My concern and what is echoed on this board is that Dodge has a known problem with there vehicle, but there hasn't been a recall in place. I don't know if it's dangerous, but it sure is inconvenient when I had to take off work tonight because my car won't start.

What are your thoughts there moderators?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Get it fixed. Don't wait for something bad to happen. Cars require parts replacement from time to time. It's the main inherent characteristic of a machine. They are not perfect as they are engineered, built, repaired and driven by humans. We all know humans are very prone to failure. This is an undeniable and unchangeable fact.

SOMETIMES....the unthinkable has to be done and a part replaced on an educated guess. Your personal time constraints coupled with a business' need to turn a profit AND attend to thier other dozens of customers per day dictates this.

Your car came with a 3/36 warranty from the factory. At the time of purchase, you are given the option to buy an extended warranty to go beyond that. If the warranty was "customer selective" or "lifetime no matter what", then you would have to give one billion dollars for your car. Then there is an alternate option....learn to fix cars and never have to buy a new one (unless you win the lottery. Mine will be a Corvette BTW), wait for a mechanic to be looking in the right place at the right time when it is duplicated, or worry about a warranty. I am not trying to be a snartarsse, but this is the reality.

The click is the starter popping out to engage the flexplate. For some reason there is not enough power or an unsufficient ground to make the starter spin enough to crank the engine. The problem is most likely inside the starter. It's a common part on many cars that fails. I just did one this past Tuesday....on a 2009 Journey. Last Friday on a 2007 Caliber...etc...etc.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting