Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by inuyasha
Hi TNTech,

I'm having the same problem for about 2 years now, where it wont start but when I move the shifter, it will start after 2-3 attempts. Then yesterday, I cycled the key and it shows an error code on the OBD, code: P0706, the thing, the MIL wasn't lit at all, I would've not seen the error if I didn't cycle the key.

I talked to a Dodge technician and he said it's still safe to drive as long as the vehicle won't get stuck on 2nd gear whichever, and it won't cause any further damage to the vehicle, pretty much he's saying that I can live with it. Is that completely true? I just need another opinion.

Btw, the trans range sensor costs $80 and the labor is around $600... Ouch!
Mine is a 2009 SXT 6.5L V6 (FWD)

Thanks.

It send P-R-N-D-L signals to the PCM and the TCM. It will eventually strand you as it gets more play in it. $600 labor is too much, unless their rate is $150 an hour.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM
inuyasha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response, if I don't get it fixed, is it also possible for the engine to turn off while driving?

and yes, the dealership here charges $140 for the labor, it the TR sensor inside the transmission?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by inuyasha
thanks for the response, if I don't get it fixed, is it also possible for the engine to turn off while driving?

and yes, the dealership here charges $140 for the labor, it the TR sensor inside the transmission?
WOW, 140 hr. at a Chrysler Dealer. We're still just under 100 down here.

Probably not: Yes, inside.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Jaydubs

Please help!!! My 2009 Journey V6 has been randomly stalling out for no apparent reason. No error codes, no hidden codes, in the shop twice with no other symptoms. Today the car stalled in an intersection while I was taking my son to school. Threw it in neutral and it clicked once and started right up. This has been ongoing so I called Dodge Corporate, they stated it may be related to the key fob recall and win module. Dealer states that the recall would only cover a small part to ensure the key is seating correctly in the ignition and not the module, but based on what I am reading the module sounds to be faulty. This stall out happened again multiple times (usually when slowing to a stop or taking foot off the gas) without additional keys or weight on the fob.

Another random issue that occurred is that my odometer reset itself at some point over the past few months. Not the trip odometer, the entire odometer. Dodge said they have never heard of that happening and the computer would basically self destruct before the mileage was permanently lost. The dealer didn't even know what to tell me to do about it but I scheduled an appointment (if I can get it from stalling out long enough to drive 4-5 miles to the dealer).

Any ideas on either issues. I am at a loss. Battery checks out okay although my wife said when the car died this evening (when picking it up from the shop after hours) one set of break lights completely died but the other side was fine. Also there was some white smoke and rough running once I got it restarted (timing issue from a module?).

This car is unsafe to drive and like many others I have had several premature issues with this car. I like the Journey and wish I would have waited for a later model, but 2009 seems to be the guinea pig class. Even the dealership is stumped on these issues.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Got your PM.

Dang, that's a lot of stuff going on. Are there ANY codes being set AT ALL ? In ANY module?

Last edited by TNtech; 10-03-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Jaydubs

No codes at all. Have you seen either?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 AM
bigtsr
Captain

Was the recall on the wiring done on this DJ?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:44 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bigtsr
Was the recall on the wiring done on this DJ?

In theory the interior BUS shouldn't do anything to the C BUS, but stranger things have happened.

Originally Posted by Jaydubs
No codes at all. Have you seen either?

I'm seriously leaning to the TIPM at the moment. I wonder if you could get the engine to stall at idle by slapping the top of the TIPM with your open hand??

One dumb thing to check is your battery connections. I fix several cars every month that have a loose one because someone from a parts store didn't install it right.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-04-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Jaydubs

I did have the door wiring recall completed. I guess the way it feels when driving is that the fuel pump isn't working properly, but it idles fine, so I kind of ruled that out. It seems almost like a safety feature. Can you explain the Neutral safety sensor? Is this related?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Ellen-84
Default No start pos 09 Dodge Journey. Sxt

Originally Posted by potejammed
We've had the same issue on our 09 Journey. Actually the day after we picked it up used from the dealer it happened. The problem with this is that it's a fleeting problem and doesn't tend to last, so it's difficult to diagnose. That said, a quick search on the web shows that this issue is far from unheard of. One of the common complaints people have had on this thread (and elsewhere online where this issue is discussed) is that the in particular the Dodge dealership shops have never heard of it. I think that a lot of the frustration is due to that glaring lapse. Known issues like this really should be brought to the attention of local Dodge/Chrysler shops so that they can deal with them in a timely manner.

To those who have questioned whether this is actually a potential danger to customers, it most certainly is. If you live in a northern climate where temperatures in the winter dip down to -30, being stranded in the elements can be a serious and even deadly issue. Throw a young child in the mix, and yes, this is a customer safety issue in my opinion. So far my family has been lucky never to have been stranded in the winter, but we are also dealing with the issue (still) at random times, making our vehicle essentially unreliable.

A couple points regarding the specifics of our case, so that others can compare. When the "key" is inserted, all power appears to work. Windows, radio, lights. But it just doesn't start. Jiggling the shifter doesn't do anything, nor does attempting to start it in neutral, etc. Only time fixes it. Sometimes an hour, sometimes a couple days. One other thing is that it's never happened when the engine is cold (starting from the house) and only happens when we've already been driving and turn the engine off
ive had the exact problem but my DJ 09, only I’ve been stranded at home too. I’ve changed the alternator several times,the belt, the starter twice, and the computer. After the computer I’m ready to sell it but keep it because the problem is fixed have had it back three weeks and have had three no starts several clicks and a long start. I don’t know how else to explain that one just keeps trying for like ten seconds then will start and be fine. But after the first alternator I also had to change a wheel bearing and heating cable. When I went to manitoulin island for vacation I was stranded there. starter ,thank god the people on the island are amazing. My kids and sitter were still at the camp ground on the other side of the island. We had gone to get burgers. Anyways then we realized that the break pads were low and sure enough when that’s changed they tell us oh your calipers need replaced and your ball joint is loose.

At the time I could only afford to replace the calipers. I’ve had it 10 months ish... the first three where it’s covered by the dealer it runs perfect then the problems start. I’ve been all over the internet looking for the actual cause and keep hearing neutral safety switch but my Journey was at a dodge dealership and they diagnosed the computer to my mechanic. I don’t know what to do. Damn straight it’s a safety issue. Dodge should do a recall on the switch. If it’s as popular as it sounds. But like I said I’ve changed everything but the switch and the problems are still there. I haven’t taken the car back to the shop because they had it two months and they didn’t fix the problem.

The dodge dealer should have found the real problem.

Quick Reply: Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting