Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2008 DJ, with P0118 Engine coolant temp. sensor 1 circuit high.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM
rexmanno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 DJ, with P0118 Engine coolant temp. sensor 1 circuit high.

Hi.
A very close friend of mine owns a 2008 DJ.
I hooked up my OBD tester and it says 2 codes, first code is P 0118 Engine coolant temperature sensor 1 circuit high.
The second code I can not bring up or trace on my tester, I don't know, but my suspicion is something to do with the ETC.
The nearest Dodge dealer is 5 hours drive away and I am wondering if she can drive it like it is to the dealer?
Any one have any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help !!!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

If it runs ok, driving it will be fine.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM
bigtsr
Captain

It does not appear that many of us have experienced
this problem - check with one of your local autoparts
i.e PepBoys or NAPA for code info.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM
rexmanno

Thank you Jkeaton and bigtsr for your responses, I have found the second code, it is P2181.
I don't know but I don't think that one should create any problems either, so if you agree, I will take the car in to the dealer or the local electric shop for further testing and repairs.
The local dealer has a 3 week back log of work, so I am going to call the electric shop and see if they will take a stab at it.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm assuming 4 cylinder, correct??

P2181 is cooling system performance. Most common will pop up when your coolant is low (because the temp fluctuates)

Check your coolant and see if it's low. There is a plastic "manifold" on the drivers end of the engine. Look and see if you have a slow leak from it. They've been known to crack.

But then it could be just the sensor. It's in the top of that piece. It should be a half-turn twist in. They are pretty cheap.

Not necessary to make that long drive.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-24-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 PM
rexmanno

Hi TNtech.
It is a 4 cyl.
On the driver door, the sticker says manufactured 03-08, the registration says 2009 model, so I will call it a 2009.
Checked it over this morning, started the engine and let her warm up to proper working temp, took her for a drive, worked perfect up to the first 8 km, then she started to act up, it will surge for a split second, catch her self and drive good for a little bit and do this again, when she surges she only looses 1 - 2 km in speed.
The coolant level is where it's supposed to be on the day tank, checked the sensor on the left side plastic manifold, ohm'ed it and it read 0,000 ohm's just like when I touched the volt-ohm meter leads together, that is the extend of my electric knowledge, today's computerized cars I don't understand much of, so I'm thankful for all the help I can get here, I'm just trying to help this friend out.

Quick Reply: 2008 DJ, with P0118 Engine coolant temp. sensor 1 circuit high.