Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Journey 2009 Weird Braking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Thomas Lopez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Journey 2009 Weird Braking Problem

Hello Guys!

Hope you doing great!

I have this weird braking problem with my 2009 Journey, it has 37k miles on it and recently it started doing some weird stuff while braking, the problem comes this way.

There's no steearing wheel shaking or metal sounds or whatsoever, but sometimes ( and its regularity is increasing ) when I brake the pedal starts doing some cracking noises and shakes and then the ESP BASS, ABS and traction control would light on and as long as those lights stay on the card brakes perfectly without any sounds or shaking, generally when I park my car and I start driving again those lights go off but then after a while the same noises and shaking into the brake pedal come back and the lights are on again... and the proccess repeat...

I have no idea what this could be, as the rotors and pads seems to be in good shape and also how come that when the lights are on the car brakes perfectly?

Any Ideas?

Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to the forum. How have you verified the brakes "seem to be good"? The ABS ESP lights could be due to a faulty/dirty wheel sensor. If I understand you correctly, your brake pedal is pulsating and cracking which sounds like the ABS is engaging when it should not be. Only way to tell is to get the ABS codes read which a standard OBD code reader won't do. Brake pedal pulsation could also be warped rotors. The 09's were notorious for warping rotors. We went through 2 sets in the first 20,000 miles on our 09.

The car is braking perfectly when the lights are on because when those lights are on, the ABS/ESP/Traction control is disabled and not functioning. Which leads me more towards an issue with the wheel sensors, the ABS module, etc. I know it's probably not your first choice, but a dealer would be able to properly diagnose.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Thomas Lopez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I do believe it has to do something with the sensors as there is no problem when the lights are on, but the way it behaves once they lights go off its scary af, you kinda believe it is going to fall apart..

I guess I will have to take it to a delearship and check that up

Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Lopez
Hello Guys!

Hope you doing great!

I have this weird braking problem with my 2009 Journey, it has 37k miles on it and recently it started doing some weird stuff while braking, the problem comes this way.

There's no steearing wheel shaking or metal sounds or whatsoever, but sometimes ( and its regularity is increasing ) when I brake the pedal starts doing some cracking noises and shakes and then the ESP BASS, ABS and traction control would light on and as long as those lights stay on the card brakes perfectly without any sounds or shaking, generally when I park my car and I start driving again those lights go off but then after a while the same noises and shaking into the brake pedal come back and the lights are on again... and the proccess repeat...

I have no idea what this could be, as the rotors and pads seems to be in good shape and also how come that when the lights are on the car brakes perfectly?

Any Ideas?
Hey Thomas,

Have you had the vehicle scanned for stored DTCs at a certified FCA dealership?

Quick Reply: Journey 2009 Weird Braking Problem