Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Ticking noise from underhood fuse box - 2010 Dodge Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM
JMoroney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from underhood fuse box - 2010 Dodge Journey

Hi,

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey. I've noticed a ticking noise that happens intermittently from the underhood fuse box.

I thought it was the relays so I pulled all of them out but the clicking continues. It seems to be coming from within the fuse box itself.

I've been getting a flat battery overnight intermittently and have been thinking that this ticking might be the cause.

A new battery has been installed as the old one needed to be replaced but the ticking noise continues.

Had anyone come across this issue before? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 PM
pv2r34
Default Ticking noise in fusebox

I'm assuming the ticking noise happens when the key is off, if so.

1. Find fuse M13 20amp. It is in the under hood fuse box.

2. Pull this fuse, does the ticking noise stop?

3. If the ticking noise stops, do a parasitic draw test on battery. (make sure all lights are off and doors are closed during the test. Battery located in driver's side front fender.)

4. If you have no draw while the M13 fuse is pulled and no ticking noise you have one of two issues.

5. Either the cluster or multifunction switch is shorting out causing the draw on the battery and ticking noise.

6. The easy one to test is the cluster, the bezel around the cluster is not held down by any fasteners (pull out to remove), avoid using a screwdriver or knife. That will damage the plastic around it.

7. Four torx screws hold the cluster in place, unbolt these and move the cluster out exposing the two connectors.

8. Reinstall the M13 20 amp fuse and unplug both connectors from the cluster.

9. Make sure there is no ticking noise, redo the parasitic draw test, if there is no draw with the battery connected, key off, all doors closed and cluster unplugged.

10. You need to replace the cluster, called local dodge dealer they said new cluster is plug and play no programming required.

11. After you've replaced the cluster preform another parasitic draw test with the new cluster installed and the M13 fuse installed as well.

Last edited by pv2r34; 10-30-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:24 PM
Wotalemonofacar

Originally Posted by pv2r34
I'm assuming the ticking noise happens when the key is off, if so.

1. Find fuse M13 20amp. It is in the under hood fuse box.

2. Pull this fuse, does the ticking noise stop?

3. If the ticking noise stops, do a parasitic draw test on battery. (make sure all lights are off and doors are closed during the test. Battery located in driver's side front fender.)

4. If you have no draw while the M13 fuse is pulled and no ticking noise you have one of two issues.

5. Either the cluster or multifunction switch is shorting out causing the draw on the battery and ticking noise.

6. The easy one to test is the cluster, the bezel around the cluster is not held down by any fasteners (pull out to remove), avoid using a screwdriver or knife. That will damage the plastic around it.

7. Four torx screws hold the cluster in place, unbolt these and move the cluster out exposing the two connectors.

8. Reinstall the M13 20 amp fuse and unplug both connectors from the cluster.

9. Make sure there is no ticking noise, redo the parasitic draw test, if there is no draw with the battery connected, key off, all doors closed and cluster unplugged.

10. You need to replace the cluster, called local dodge dealer they said new cluster is plug and play no programming required.

11. After you've replaced the cluster preform another parasitic draw test with the new cluster installed and the M13 fuse installed as well.
would this stop the car from starting??

Old 07-04-2022, 02:06 PM
MartySzy1
Amateur
Default M13 fuse issues

Originally Posted by Wotalemonofacar
would this stop the car from starting??
I have installed a switch on the 2010 2.4 base M13 fuse because it was drawing a lot. Car not starting after 5 or 6 days in this summer weather and overnight in 20 degree winter. I also but a trickle charger in the block heater circuit and if I charge it daily( its a winter car in theory) or drive it daily there is no issue. The switch didnt help and I have installed new ground wires and cleaned everything and the next step will be to rebuild the TIPM (fusebox) as it has relays and a circuit board and want to clean all the connectors and put another ground on it. There is youtube on the TIPM its a little delicate getting all the pins in order to put it back together but there has been corrosion issues with it, and I'm going to the local dealership to see if it needs to be reprogrammed after.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:09 AM
MoneyMone

I have a 2010 dodge journey Sxt. I have also been hearing ticking noises, I wouldn’t say it’s coming from the fuse box but it’s definitely coming from under the hood. My power mirrors won’t work. My 12V charger port doesn’t work. My front windows don’t let up or down. My car horn doesn’t work, the switches inside the car on the door and for the car key fab itself doesn’t work. So can’t auto start car or unlock/lock car doors. I have got it diagnosed at Midas and I need a new camshaft(cause for ticking noises) I also need a new fuse box. (Causes for everything not working, Electrical). Sounds like you need the same thing. Especially with your battery problem. That started for me first then all the other problems came behind it.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from underhood fuse box - 2010 Dodge Journey