Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

oil pan plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Wayne Powers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan plug

The wife's 2009 journey with a 3.5 had the oil change light come on, we bought it 4 months ago low mileage and in great shape. So I drove up the ramp and crawled under, hmm that was a tiny plug 11mm. I used a small wrench and tapped it with the rubber hammer and out it came. At first I thought it was one of those dripless plugs but as it came out with it came a 18mm tap. About 10 minutes later the oil is not dripping so I go to rethread the plug in and it turns and turns and turns. I try to reverse it out and it pulls right out, and now it just slides in and out.I stuck my baby finger in and I can feel threads. This is not good, I beetle over to the parts store and buy a new Dodge replacement plug, get home and it will kinda tightened up, but you know that last thread, hmm maybe feeling, oh it is past finger snug but I fear one more twist and it's shot.
OK I found a used oil pan for 75 buck, or should I look at some other cheaper solutions. I mean how difficult is it to remove the old pan and replace it, anyone replaced one???

Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Get one of those expandable rubber oil pan plugs. I used one in another car for years without a problem. Either that or drill and tap the hole to the next larger size.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Wayne Powers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chickened out

The oil pan cost me $60 the gasket $45 labour was $180 so for a little over $300 , after the oil and filter I have peace of mind. 50 years ago I would have cheaped out, but back then it was usual to fill up the oil and add 5 bucks of gas.