Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

resonator delete

Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM
bigunclejethro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resonator delete

Hi all,

I'm new to the Journey club, just bought a 2013 SXT Blacktop. I put on a cai and it sounds great, but the stock exhaust doesn't exactly make a great noise. I want a little more rumble out of it without it being too loud inside or sounding like a richer, so I was looking into doing the resonator delete. Anyone with a journey done this yet? If so, where are the resonators and how much of a pain is it to do this? Will it void my warranty doing this?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF! Congrats on the purchase. I have no idea if these cars have resonators. Guess you might be the first to find out. Can't figure it would impact the warranty, nothing different than putting another muffler on it. You might check first though. Post up some pics of your ride, especially the CAI. I'm interested in getting one. Did you custom make it?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
bigunclejethro

From what I've read they either have a muffler and resonator or two mufflers, but I've seen some videos of people with avengers and chargers removing the back resonators/mufflers and it sounds pretty good, I just wanna be sure that I'm going to like it before I cut up my brand new car. The CAI is actually meant for a 2013 avenger it's the typhoon kit I ordered it from summit. The install is super easy and I made a simple bracket just to hold it in place. Ill post some pics tonight

Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
bigunclejethro

Jkeaton, I uploaded a few more pics including one of my cai. I did not have to modify the car at all, just added a piece of steel to pull the box away from the washer fluid box. Its not really needed I just like the extra security.

Back on topic, heres a YouTube video of an avenger with the resonators removed. I think it sounds pretty badass and is supposed to still be quiet at cruising speeds.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 AM
bigunclejethro

Ive decided I'm gonna test the water and go for it. I probably won't get to it until after New Years but ill get some before and after videos and post them when I'm done. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
geoff

Any updates? Have been thinking about this on my 2011. Also where are those cai pics?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
bigunclejethro

I am planning on having this done next week and will report back. Not sure if this link works but my car and a few pics of my cai are available at the site below.

https://dodgejourney.shutterfly.com/

Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 AM
bigunclejethro

Sorry for the wait, I am taking her into an exhaust shop in about an hour and will report back shortly. The guy said it would cost be $75 per resonator and take about an hour, maybe less. Ive heard stories of others getting it done for much less but I couldn't find anyone in my are to do it for less than that

Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM
bigunclejethro

So I took my Journey to a local shop today and found out something strange. I could have sworn that all the resonators I have seen on mopar vehicles were located at the back end, right before the exhaust tips. According to the shop, this is not the case. The resonators are just after the crossover pipe, and I'm told that removing those would make the car really loud and unbearable to drive. I was also told that removing only the mufflers wouldn't be much louder than stock but would be very raspy and not have a good tone. In the end, I had the stock mufflers replaced with a set of xlerator mufflers. The sound is very deep and is definitely loud when you step on it. At normal cruising speeds its not bad but ill get some videos together and report back. I'm curious if the 2013s have a different setup than earlier models. If anyone else wants to look into this I would be interested to know.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
bigunclejethro

Correction: the resonator is located in the middle of the car before the exhaust split for dual outlet cars

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: resonator delete