Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2012 Dodge Journey - rear outer CV boot torn? advice?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Howitzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dodge Journey - rear outer CV boot torn? advice?

We just bought our 2012 Dodge Journey R/T Rallye two weeks ago (115,000 kms) from a local Capital GMC dealer who states their "pre-owned" vehicle are "certified": "WE GO OVER EVERY DETAIL SO YOU CAN COVER EVERY KILOMETER. You might not worry much about the condition of your hose clamps or the vacuum system or the brake pads. You'll never have to, either, with one of our GM Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles. Before they reach the sales floor, each one of our Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles is meticulously looked over by a licensed mechanic. That means by the time you look at them, every single vehicle has passed our painstaking 150+ point inspection."

"When you buy a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Capital GMC, you'll get great perks you won't find anywhere else. Shop with peace of mind knowing that every Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle comes with a 30 Day/2,500km Exchange Privilege*, a 150+ Point Inspection of the vehicle, 3-month/5,000km Manufacturer's Warranty*, and 24-Hour Roadside Assistance."

The salesman is an acquaintance of mine and he sent me the inspection sheet of the work done on the vehicle and the inspection list done. There is nothing on the inspection sheet for "CV boot/joints" for some reason. I can post the actual inspection sheet if it would be helpful, let me know.

I had a recall done on the vehicle (the Capital GMC salesman arranged it at the local competition 777 Chrysler dealer). The 777 Chrysler service guy stated that the vehicle has a torn/leaking outer left CV boot. They also stated that it (as maintenance) needs a spark plug change and a fuel throttle body service as well. Worth noting is that I didn't take the vehicle in to 777 Chrysler, my wife did. The service guy she talked to said that he recommended that the work should be done.

I crawled underneath and I couldn't see that any of the rear CV boots are torn or leaking. The "certified" inspection that Capital GMC supposedly did would have seen this torn boot wouldn't it? At the beginning of January, Capital had the local KalTire apparently replace all four struts/shocks plus the axle seal on that side was replaced and the axle was inspected, according to the KalTire invoice the salesman gave me (I can attach this as well, it has my vehicle's VIN number listed on it).

Either Capital or 777 is full of s&*$... I have to sort out who is... any advice dealing with these guys?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 PM
Howitzer

Update: I took the vehicle down to 777 Chrysler and they put it on the hoist. I was able to see that the outer rear CV boot is indeed torn. I guess I have an issue with Capital GMC, any advice on how to proceed? The 777 mechanic said in defense of the of the Capital inspection that things can be missed during vehicle inspection process.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If it's been less than 30 days, make them fix it.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Howitzer

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I agree 100%, thanks for responding!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Howitzer

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Capital has agreed to repair the torn boot. I want a complete axle replacement - and I've told them this, waiting for confirmation that a complete axle replacement is going to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Journey - rear outer CV boot torn? advice?