Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Dodge Journey 3.5 FWD break caliper issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM
migz16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Journey 3.5 FWD break caliper issue

so I went to change my front brakes because while driving I noticed it was smoking and it stunk... this was the driver side front. It’s been about a year since I last changed them and thought it must be time to change them. When I tried to decompress the caliper with a rental tool from Autozone I noticed it wouldn’t move at all... seized it seemed like.... I ran to the closest auto part (Autozone) and purchased a new caliper. When I took the break line off I and let the caliper bleed out I tried to compress it out of curiosity.... I was shocked when it compress with little force... I had my wife pump the break and and noticed that fluid was coming out of the hose (not connected to the caliper) so it couldn’t be a clogged hose line.. I added the same old caliper since it wasn’t seized... built the break system back and before putting the tire on I had my wife do a series of pumping and holding... I noticed the caliper compress and decompress... so I assumed it was bad fluid currently inside the caliper or the line... I went for a short drive (quarter mile) and yet again I smelled lots of burning breaks... I stopped at an angle where I can clearly see the piston on the caliper and it’s fully decompressed against the break pad... I need an advise on what to do... fyi I’m also changing the rotors since it seemed to mess them up too.. any suggestions would help..

i currently have new brakes
1 new caliper

will changing the break line hose fix the issue with bonus of changing the caliper

i know this car has the issue with it going through pads quickly... I just need to know based on what I described if the issue is the caliper or the line

Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Replace the line since you have determined it's not the caliper.

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Journey 3.5 FWD break caliper issue