Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Multiple issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 PM
Jalynsdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple issues!!!

My wife and I bought her a fully loaded (minus the backup camera) 2015 Journey Crossroads brand new in 2015. This was a great vehicle for about a year and then we started having multiple problems (the issues probably wouldn't be such a big deal if the dealership was better about actually fixing the vehicle.)

The first issue was that the stock tires started knotting up and literally separating from themselves. This was a nightmare to try to get corrected so I ended up just buying new tires.

The second issue was a "clunking" noise every time we hit a bump. It took 2 years (yes, YEARS!) to get the dealership to admit that there was a problem. They replaced the struts and the sound was gone. About a month later and the noise came back, getting slightly worse over time. Still haven't got this issue resolved.

The third issue was an oil leak from the rear main seal. The vehicle had less than 50,000 miles and had been maintained by the dealership that we bought it from (they offer free oil changes and engines for the life of the vehicle.) Dropped the vehicle off at the dealership and 2 weeks later we get the car back. The oil leak was fixed but there was a very noticeable shake in the front end. Dealership wouldn't cover the charge to correct this because they said there was no way that they caused the issue. Still haven't got this issue resolved.

The fourth issue is the brake booster system. Every time it rains and we drive the car, water gets inside the brake booster box. The dealership had to replace the brake booster box at one point in time because the water ruined it. The problem is, water still gets inside the box! It will throw the ABS and traction control lights on and the cruise control doesn't work. I have to unplug the wiring harness from the booster box and hang it upside down to let the water drip out, and slide paper towels inside the booster box to absorb the water. This always makes the lights go back off until the next time it rains. I read that there was a recall for this problem on certain 2015 journeys, but ours was not on that recall. I plan on calling FCA about this problem soon to see if they can get it resolved for me.

The 5th issue had something to do with the power steering. I'm not 100% sure exactly what the problem was because I didn't notice the problem. The dealership noticed it during an inspection. They replaced some part of the power steering system and we have had no issues.

We loved this car when we first bought it, but with all of the problems we have out of it we don't drive it much. I always drive my truck (2015 Ram) and my wife has actually reverted back to her old 2007 single cab Ram which is has NO bells and whistles, over driving her almost fully loaded 2015 Journey. At this point we are just waiting to get the Journey paid down enough that we can trade it in. These vehicles don't hold their value at all!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Both of ours held their value well, we got almost $8000 for our 09 with 90,000 miles on it when we trade it for our 2013. The 2013 we sold for about the same thing in 2017, so that statement is false. We had the clunking issues with our 2013. Dealer replaced the struts under warranty, and yes, the noise came back (attribute to replacing stock parts with stock parts). We just lived with it after that. Otherwise, very pleased with both of ours. Minimal major issues. Do you need help with something or are you just venting?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Jalynsdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might just be because of the difference of our location, but in my situation my statement was not false. The mechanical issues that I had could also have contributed to the lower trade in value as all of the work done on the vehicle has been reported to Carfax. I had 4 different dealerships offer me less than $10,000 for a 2 year old vehicle (the first time I tried to trade it in in 2017) that is one step from the highest package available on these vehicles, that means that it didn't hold its value. Other than the mechanical issues that we have had, this car has been in no wrecks and still has less than 50,000 miles. Now that it is 4 years old, the dealership told me that I would be lucky to get $5,000 out of it. I'm not worried about the noise coming from the struts. I am more worried about the safety aspect of it with my wife and 3 kids. It sounds like FCA needs to come up with a solution to the strut problem to me. The struts on the vehicle no have been on there for about a year and 3 months and they are already leaking (as did the original struts.) There is no reason that struts should have to be replaced twice in less than 50,000 miles. Granted they did replace them the first time under warranty so it was just more of an inconvenience, however when my extended warranty runs out I will be stuck footing the bill for repairs on this poorly made car. Maybe I just got the bad one out of the batch because I know multiple people that drive Journey's and they love them. I can also think of 4 other people who have Journey's that have has many issues similar to what I have. Tan answer your question, I guess I am not needing help with anything. I was just curious if anybody has had the same issues that I have. I knew the strut issue and the brake booster issue were common complaints, but the others I haven't heard much about. At this point, I might just have to cut my losses and finance the negative equity on a new car. I guess that's what I get for buying a "low budget vehicle" as my dealership called it.

Quick Reply: Multiple issues!!!