Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Need help on 2010 journey axel seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Matt Fowler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 2010 journey axel seal

Ok, here is my issue.....

I had a leak coming out of the transfer case on the front passenger side of my 2010 Journey R/T 3.6L. Definitely an axle seal issue. Got the vehicle torn apart and got and removed the old axle seal.

Well, everywhere I have been trying to get a new seal (this includes 3 auto parts stores, dealer, and online) I cannot find the exact replacement. The new one has the correct inside diameter, but the outside diameter is too small. There is another lip inside the transfer case, but even putting the new one there, it still isn't wide enough to seal. I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I was told by the dealer that they changed the part apparently, and the new one should go in as a direct replacement. After weeks of searching, I am no closer to finding a) the original seal for the journey, or b) how the heck the new one is supposed to install in there.

Any ideas?

I will post a couple pics of what I got going on. First pic will be the original seal I pulled out, and the bottom is the new one the dealer gave me. The 2nd pic is the side of the transfer case where you can see the outside lip the old seal came off of, and the inside lip I tried to put the new, smaller one into. The new one fits in the small lip, but will fall out if I move my hand. It is too small.

Thanks folks!

Old 04-20-2022, 09:59 PM
kramlinck1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Fowler
Ok, here is my issue.....

I had a leak coming out of the transfer case on the front passenger side of my 2010 Journey R/T 3.6L. Definitely an axle seal issue. Got the vehicle torn apart and got and removed the old axle seal.

Well, everywhere I have been trying to get a new seal (this includes 3 auto parts stores, dealer, and online) I cannot find the exact replacement. The new one has the correct inside diameter, but the outside diameter is too small. There is another lip inside the transfer case, but even putting the new one there, it still isn't wide enough to seal. I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I was told by the dealer that they changed the part apparently, and the new one should go in as a direct replacement. After weeks of searching, I am no closer to finding a) the original seal for the journey, or b) how the heck the new one is supposed to install in there.

Any ideas?

I will post a couple pics of what I got going on. First pic will be the original seal I pulled out, and the bottom is the new one the dealer gave me. The 2nd pic is the side of the transfer case where you can see the outside lip the old seal came off of, and the inside lip I tried to put the new, smaller one into. The new one fits in the small lip, but will fall out if I move my hand. It is too small.

Thanks folks!

I'm in the process of doing this same thing. Did you ever figure out the correct seal to out in?

Quick Reply: Need help on 2010 journey axel seal