Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

This engine could double Magnum sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:28 AM
Jim_Jim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This engine could double Magnum sales

In 2006 all diesel fuel sold in the US will be a new low sulfur formulation similar to Europe. This opens the door to new common rail, direct injection diesel engines that can meet all pollution and particle emission standards across all 50 states. The 3.2 liter Mercedes turbo diesel sold in the 2005 E320 should be capable of taking the Magnum from 0-60 in 7 seconds and deliver 27 mph city and 37 mph highway….while lasting over 200K miles. I want one. I think millions of Americans will want one. I think this could double the Magnum and 300C sales. The lower drag coefficient on the new Charger would also help mileage and looks cool.

Below from Car and Driver
The heart of the 2005 E320 is a 3.2-liter DOHC 24-valve intercooled inline turbo-diesel six-cylinder engine. Like all diesels, the compression ratio is high—18:1—although not as high as naturally aspirated diesels. The turbocharger has a variable nozzle turbine, integrated with the engine-management system. Fuel-rail pressure is bottom-of-the-ocean prodigious—almost 23,000 psi, about 350 times the pressure in a gas E320—to promote optimal fuel atomization through the seven-hole nozzles of each injector valve, one of the keys to the improved combustion efficiency of common-rail diesels.
Another element distinguishing this diesel is a pilot-injection function that precedes the main combustion event by a few milliseconds, damping the noise, mitigating temperature changes, and reducing NOx emissions.
But that’s not what diesel buyers care about. They care about diesel virtues: fuel economy and torque. The CDI’s horsepower rating is modest—201 at 4200 rpm, 20 less than the gasoline engine—but its torque output puts the V-6 on the trailer: 369 pound-feet versus 232. And the peak occurs on a lovely plateau that begins barely off idle: 1800 to 2600 rpm.
What this means is weight-lifter muscle at relaxed engine speeds, which is a good thing. With its heavy-duty cast-iron engine block—a diesel trait that hasn’t changed much over the years—plus extra sound damping, the E320 CDI weighs in at just over two tons, 219 pounds more than the gas E320 we tested last year( March 2003). Nevertheless, the diesel is quicker to 60 mph—7.1 seconds versus 7.4—and delivers more punch in low- and midrange sprints: 30 to 50 in 3.5 seconds, 50 to 70 in 4.8. The gas E320 recorded 3.8 and 5.4 seconds, respectively.
Fuel economy: The CDI is EPA-rated for 27 mpg city and 37 highway versus 19 and 27 for the gasoline car. Our own experience, accumulated in mostly urban driving of the no-prisoners variety, averaged just over 24 mpg. Still, with a 23.5-gallon fuel tank, the CDI’s range potential—some 500 miles—clearly exceeds the capacity of most bladders. We were also surprised to see that diesel fuel was cheaper in our locale than gasoline.
Diesel clatter? Yes, it’s still there—for about five minutes at startup, particularly on cold mornings. Beyond that, though, the CDI is generally quieter than its gasoline counterpart. Diesel stink? Not a hint.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: This engine could double Magnum sales

I am not that familiar with diesels, but when my father had his suburban diesel, he did not have to go through emmisions. I thought they were better for emissions.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
illy
Professional

I think this technology has promise, but I am not entirely certain it would double the sales of the magnum. I was attracted to the magnum for the Hemi, without it I would have purchased something else.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:51 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Jim Jim,
Uh, I doubt it. Diesel's in Magnums would eliminate the sales. Now, an old school 426 Cu. In. Hemi would Double Magnum Sales for sure.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Jim_Jim

Hi Jimmy the Fuse,

The turbo diesel seems like the best solution for families that take weekend trips and car vacations.

We drive about 20K miles per year.
Gas will average $3/gallon in a couple years, and up to $5/gal in 5-6 years.(according to US Senate data)

Turbo Diesel average 32 miles per gallon = $1875 / year @ $3/gal and $2500 @ $4/gal

426 Hemi averages 14 miles per gallon = $4285 / year and $5714 @ $4/gal

savings = $3000 / year * 10 years with interest = free car

Forget the Hydrogen hype, it is too expensive to manufacture. GM is just taking the US Government for a ride for taxpayer subsidizes.
Mercedes understands how new diesel fuels will change the auto world. I'll bet we see a diesel Magnum in 2007, after the new fuel is better distributed.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:55 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Jim Jim,
I am not doubting the Fuel Economy and longevity of the Turbo Diesel, but simply question the Doubling of Sales when replacing the Hemi with a Turbo Diesel. Yes, you will go about three times as far on a single tank of gas, all while not really suffering much performance. Yes, you will probably go three times as long between Maintenance. And, yes, you will probably get about three times as many miles out of the Motor. That is way cool. But marketing and sales says a Tire Burning Hemi will out sell the Economy Package. Period. Only the RT's on the Dealer lots have Market Value Mark-Ups. Why, because that's what the 'Market' 'Values'.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
MikeyB
Professional

I would believe the 3.2L TDI would be a nice addition to the Magnum stable. I would trade my wifes RT in for one!

MikeyB

Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Klute
Professional

Diesel fuel is more expensive where I live...

Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

I don't think people buy Magnum's because they're the most fuel efficient car out there. My guess is that any increase in sales would be offset by the decrease in sales by those looking for what is available today. Just my hunch.

If I wanted extreme fuel effeciency I would have bought that ugly scion thing, or a toyota prius, or a motorcycle.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:00 PM
FlatEric
Veteran

It would certainly sell more 300 C and 300 Touring models in Europe. Gas yesterday went to Euro 1.22 per liter...that's $6.10 a gallon....None of my German friends could afford to feed an RT Magnum.

Quick Reply: This engine could double Magnum sales