DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Magnum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum-60/)
-   -   New dodge magnum hood, any thoughts (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum/23561-new-dodge-magnum-hood-any-thoughts.html)

nichepi 04-28-2005 02:44 PM

New dodge magnum hood, any thoughts

Good day gang. New to the board and looking for some market feedback.
I work for a company that manufactures private label products for the aftermarket. Most fiberglass and CF hoods as well as Carbon Fiber suspension parts.
We have a client that has asked us to come up with a Dodge magnum hood design. Companies already paid us to think up something and manufacture a 100 units.

So questions here are what ideas or thoughts do the members here have for a hood?
What general design would be nice? Ram air or cowl induction?
Stock height or raised?
Fiberglass or carbon fiber?
Are hood weights a concern?
I noticed a few members had made comments about wanting a hood like the newer model vipers. Any thoughts on that?
Were looking to R&D between now and the next 45 days and then get into production 30-60 days after that. So say about mid to late summer. Something in time for SEMA (hopefully)
We'll be designing the products and manufacturing but would not directly be selling the products.
Product pricing would be based off of production numbers but most of our mustang fiberglass hoods sell for around 400.00. But I guess that’s all up in the air.
Any photochops would be cool as well.

So far i've been pretty interested in the new srt design personally.

via500 04-28-2005 04:21 PM

RE: New dodge magnum hood, any thoughts

One thing you should be sensitive to is that while a lot of people look to the SRTs a lot of other owners readily think back to the late 1960's. In this vein a number of people have put old "r/t" emblems on their car because they don't like the newer plain "rt" emblem. Similarily I would prefer a base 1970 Challenger style air intake and of course a shaker style hood. And if you are going to do it "right" make it ram air and in any case with enough stiffening that it doesn't vibrate.

hipsterj 04-28-2005 05:06 PM

Hear Hear! All of the above!

BadStratRT 04-28-2005 05:47 PM

tehre was a shaker hood on a magnum at autorama and it looked Great.

2005 Magnum R/T Hemi 04-28-2005 06:59 PM

Nichepi,
Just check out Grinners Ride! Here is the link to the manufacture. (www.rksport.com) He has the Sweetest Hood that I have seen on the Magnum so far. Seems to me I also saw an underneath photo of the Hood showing how the Air is ducted from the Hood Scoop to right above the Air Cleaner Box, where a CAI would go. Very Cool... Also, I liked the option of the Viper Hood Vents, as they serve for exhaust vents for the Hot Air rising in the Engine Compartment. Cool Air in, Hot Air out, very efficient. Be sure to make your Hood better that Grinners, otherwise, you may be wasting your time and money...

MagnumRT 04-28-2005 07:11 PM

I would like to see a hood that has a cold air intake scoop on it, to be able to get fresh cool air to the intake system.

I agree that some of the older hoods look great.

Bob

nichepi 04-28-2005 07:30 PM

Yes I reviewed the stuff from RKsport and Classic design. I've had mixed reviews on the RKsport unit plus their price is quite high.
I seem to get alot of individule slooking for something really more retro like the 70's stuff but not as dramatic as the RKsport unit.

2005 Magnum R/T Hemi 04-28-2005 08:19 PM

Nichepi,
OK. I posted my last opinion in haste, and have since searched the web for perfect model for you to go to R&D with. Quite simple actually. Seems to me that the only flaw in Grinner's Hood is that the Air Scoop is elevated too high from the base of the hood. Only my opinion. Although the SRT team seems to have got that part right. So, just combine the (2) hoods into (1)! Make a Hood for the Magnum that looks like the Charger SRT-8 Hood Scoop and install Viper Vents at the rear of the Hood like Grinner's. There, you have a winner, and (1) potential customer. As long as you manufacture in Southern California anyway, since you don't distribute. (Gotta support local businesses only!)

Here is a link to the ugliest Air Scoop out there yet. (http://dgmotorsports.com/graphics/magnum-hood.jpg) Some say it looks Old School, I say it looks bad... Very Bad. Ohh, I gotta go, getting sick after looking at that link... [sm=smiley11.gif]

65standard 04-29-2005 12:28 AM

i think the dgmotorsports hood is the best design so far. i don't like the fake viper washboard vents of the rk hood.
the srt10 scoop is perfect the way it is. i don't want a fiberglass hood, too unstable. go with oem plastic like a saturn or carbon fiber, or steel, or aluminum.

what someone thinks is the worst hood, i think is the best, go figure.

nichepi 04-29-2005 02:02 AM

Well our company has a different approach to hood manufacturing. Some of our new products incorporate a foam core which allows for lighter weight while increasing structural integrity and reliability. I'm sure CF might be an option. But that will be up to our client.
Most of R&D and development is done instates and depending on price structure it could be made over seas.
Our manufacturing facility is on the west coast but not in California.
Well be building the units and shipping the complete build to the client location where the client will distribute all products.

2005 Magnum R/T Hemi 04-29-2005 05:10 PM

Nichepi,
Cool... Be sure to post pictures of the Hood when R&D is completed, so we can see the finished product, before production.

sikpuppy 04-30-2005 04:32 PM

How about this?? RK Sport installed on my Magnum.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5539/BB0EC76FE5294FCCAD766230807C354F.jpg[/IMG]

sikpuppy 04-30-2005 04:33 PM

or this view

[IMG]local://upfiles/5539/F792F3FF777C4793B1AF923283382A25.jpg[/IMG]

BadStratRT 04-30-2005 09:45 PM

sikpuppy...is the RK hood functional?

grinner 04-30-2005 11:11 PM

It's functional for those with an after market 360 air intake. I think it would even work for those with a V6.
Mine is fed directly by the hood and I noticed a performance gain from it.

BadStratRT 04-30-2005 11:20 PM

is it ram air style?

nichepi 05-01-2005 02:59 AM

I think the RK hood is nice but to dramatic for the clients taste. And in any event were looking to make soemthing completely new and not take off fom another design. Though the SRT concept seems to be high on the list for design considerations.

65standard 05-01-2005 07:06 PM

yes on the srt10 hood design. but think about making them out of oem plastic, machine made and everyone exactly the same. hand layed fiberglass needs a lot of prep work and is unstable.

i had a factory ram air trans am with the oem plastic hood that was perfect from day one, and still perfect two years later. a friend bought an aftermarket fiberglass copy hood for his firebird after seeing my car. his hood needed 40 hours in prep to get it ready for paint. it looked great when finished, but after two years it was wavey with hairline checks in the fiberglass. my plastic hood was still mint. so i am a little scared of fiberglass hoods.

nichepi 05-01-2005 09:29 PM

I touched base on this question recently on another dodge forum board and here is what I stated,
"bmw-nick, manufacturing of aftermarket hoods is pretty much down pat. You really do pay for what you get. So if you see hoods that are major warped or having finishing issues its just because its a cheap 200-300 dollar hood.
It is true as well that fiberglass hoods tend to warp easier then Carbon Fiber hoods. And that’s because most fiberglass hoods are done by hand layup. Where with the CF we have a few different ways to manufacture.
You also have to take in account that sometimes its not the product itself that is slightly warped, but the vehicle its going on. Much like in the instance of mustangs small body variations can cause a hood to look warped and most the time fords uses a variety of 1/4 and 1/8" spacers underneath the hood hinge which most people never notice because even stock hoods can be slightly warped."

But my point is here fiberglass hoods can be as good or as bad as you want them to be. Yes you will have a larger number of warped ones in Fiberglass then say carbon fiber but it just comes down to quality control and how consistent the environment you make the products in.
40 hours for prep work sounds like one crappy ass hood.
Our companies manufactures large number of Ford Mustang hoods and for a base price of 400.00 on our fiberglass hoods we almost no prep time needed for painting.
So it all comes down to I guess whom makes them. because no doubt their are some companies in the mustang world that make hoods for 250-300 dollars and those are the kinds of products that take hours and hours of costly prep work and not worth purchasing.

strippedhemi 05-02-2005 09:42 PM

Id love to see a hood, or just the scoop style 'add on' like the mid 60s Hemi Dodges and Plymouths. The Huge square one that covers almost the whole hood with the little depression running down the center and the open front. I already have one similar to early GTOs and Mustangs.

undropped 05-03-2005 02:44 AM

how about something sutle like this one from rk sport, to bad they didn't paint it before they offered it for sale

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/894681EBBED840AFAA4A9A120B79267B.jpg[/IMG]

StatueMan 05-03-2005 11:30 AM

The Charger SRT8 has a nice hood on it, IMHO.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7446/074D32AA95BB464C87715249B17257DA.jpg[/IMG]

65standard 05-21-2005 01:39 AM

any new info on your hood design? anything final?

stereotypt 05-21-2005 03:14 AM

I think a small cowl would look great. Maybe 1 1/2 to 3". There's already a scoop one on the market, and a shaker (which doesn't fit the look of the Magnum). I think a nice cowl would look great on this car. This is a bit large, but it's the only cowl I had to work with. Something like this, but shorter, and to the edge to line up with the grill.

There's nothing wrong with fiberglass if done right. Mustang hoods are all fiberglass and they hold up very well. Carbon fiber is too "Fast & the Furious".

MattRobertson 05-21-2005 08:57 PM

Wow I missed this thread completely.

Personally I like the Charger R/T hood the best, as a 'concept'. Specifically, I like the tines coming out off the edges. You could do a smoother, less angular treatment that would better agree with the Magnum's lines. I think that would be ideal and it would certainly be a unique product in a slowly widening field.

It would need to be functional. I think there's where the 'shaker' hoods (specifically the CD Concepts hood) falls through. That hood's inlet system is only supplementary at best. However imho a hood that is meant to deliver *some* cold air to the airbox location is still within my definition of 'functional'.

I personally don't care for the Viper-style hood. The DG Motorsports hood looks OK for what it is. Kind of. The CD Concepts shaker looks very well made but is too expensive and no way am I cutting up my hood to put that system in.

Diamondrmp 05-28-2005 12:00 AM

I think the RK sport hood for the 300c is a nice clean design

grinner 05-28-2005 05:34 AM

Magnums beg for duel scoops like the mid-90s formula. All phat and mean-lookin'.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...148/All3/1.jpg
like the one in the middle.
I settled for the rksport hood until something like this comes out.
I may have to make one.

65standard 05-28-2005 04:00 PM

i feel that a dodge should stick with a dodge design, not a chevy cowl or pontiac ram-air. dodge made lots of cool designs. the six pack, hemi shaker, t/a hood and more. the 1970 challenger r/t had twin scoops. i feel better using that over a pontiac design. but that's just me.

vyvian 06-06-2005 08:19 AM

i want to see a hood w/a scoop right over the air cleaner. If no one makes one though i'll modify my hood then.

[22 years old, '05 silver magnum r/t]

grinner 06-06-2005 01:38 PM

I think that'd look cool.
If it's just for functions though, the viper hood does feed the intake directly via a channel from the scoop itself.

65standard 06-06-2005 02:28 PM

don't put the scoop over the stock airbox. keep the scoop front and center and move the airbox over the radiator. this would eliminate all those 90 degree turns. seal the airbox tight to the hood. use a airbox like this.

the late 90's trans-am had the ideal setup.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13006/B52A4DB0DB4F46D1A362C491EAF768A2.jpg[/IMG]

vyvian 06-06-2005 11:04 PM

i just want to force air the cold air in. the viper hood moves the air over a hot motor. i think the way i want would be more effective. at least i hope. moving the air filter is an idea i will now entertain. i'm a pretty broke guy and will be doing all this work myself. maybe using a WRX STI scoop straight into the aforementioned trans-am aircleaner would work. but i gotta think about when i get the supercharger will there be space. any more ideas?

Diamondrmp 06-07-2005 07:12 AM

A forum member on another forum has this hood go through R&D now. Check out the thread.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46137

vyvian 06-07-2005 09:51 AM

does anyone know if that hood is availible? and if i went with the idea to move the air box, how would this effect the airflow sensor?

Diamondrmp 06-07-2005 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: vyvian

does anyone know if that hood is availible? and if i went with the idea to move the air box, how would this effect the airflow sensor?

Which hood are you talking about?

vyvian 06-08-2005 04:13 AM

the hood from another thread. its called the magnum force. is that hood available yet?

and does anyone know if there would be problems w/ the air flow sensor if i moved the air filter to center on the radiator.

Diamondrmp 06-08-2005 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: vyvian

the hood from another thread. its called the magnum force. is that hood available yet?

and does anyone know if there would be problems w/ the air flow sensor if i moved the air filter to center on the radiator.

The hood is designed by Forum Member "Magnum Force and that is the name he gave the hood. It is not out yet but when it is he said there will be a group purchase offered to all of us.

doogie48084 01-26-2007 01:29 PM

so is it available yet?