Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Need feed back...

Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 AM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need feed back...

To all Magnum owners…

I have been watching all the Magnum websites since December 2004 when I first ordered a 2005 Magnum R/T. Didn’t get my car until April 21, 2005 and it was a 2006 model with the lesser 3/36 warranty., and a higher MSRP. Wanted the car so bad, and had waited so long, I didn’t argue over the changes. I love this car.

I found that my selling dealer is in the dark about the Magnum. Took it in for the first service (3 month or 3000 mile) and when presented my bill it said “change oil, 5 qts. bulk oil. This got my attention. I asked the Service Manager, “Doesn’t the 5.7 HEMI engine require 7 qts.?” He called the lube man over and asked him “how much oil did you put in?” The lube man replied “6 qts.” I don’t think they are reading their service manuals.

I worked for 22 years as an auto mechanic at various domestic and foreign car shops. Some of these shops (especially dealerships) had what we called the “Magic Fountain”. This was a barrel of the cheapest oil and a viscosity that most cars required.
Never thought this was still going on.

There are three things that I am concerned with my car…

1. Engine has tapping sound at idle.

2. Transmission is slow on shifting (feels slushy). Hesitation when kickdown for
for passing.

3. A/C seems to be not as cold as it should be.

Anyone have these symptoms, or a TSB to resolve them?

This post is getting pretty long… Will wait for some replies before going on.

Old Bob in Northeastern California.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
undropped
Veteran
Default RE: Need feed back...

can't say i have a bad experiance with my mag yet, then again the only required service has been oil changes, all of which were done at quick lube style places, under my supervision, i was unable to afford the hemi, however my 2.7 is loud at the top end, but then again so was the 2.7 in my concorde, i guess 24 valves under plastic dont make for silence. as for the a/c the only time it does not blow hot is under full throttle when on recirculate.

i must say that i have been very disapointed in the capabilites and knowledge of dealership techs, does it really take five weeks to get the timing right. But oh well

Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM
carenl

my car is under 600 miles so i can't say i've had that experience with the oil yet, we do get free oil changes at our dealership for 5 years so when i go in for my first one i'll be sure to watch out for it.

also, with the heat these past few weeks i too have felt that the a/c wasn't quite as frosty as it should be...i figured it was the dark interior and the sweltering heat

Old 07-28-2005, 11:12 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Your dealership sounds scary, I'd look around for one with a better service center.
The Magnums with the combined American / European technology require skilled technicians.

The tapping could be oil related, check it immediately.
My dealer asked me to come in at 500mi for a free oil change and at 3000 mi I had them use Mobil 1.

There's a TSB for the AC & Shifting that requires flashing the PCM (tell them it idles rough too)
DON'T LET A ******** DO IT!!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
MagnumRT
Captain

Good to hear from you Old Bob,

Like most here, I am against using my local Dodge dealer unless I have to. Their service departments seem to be lacking in good help (sorry Dodge Mech). I have only been to my local dealer once in the year I have had my RT, for a service recall. Yes, they managed to botch that job up, what should have been a one hour job(at most) turned into a all day repair job.

Your RT needs to use 5W20 oil! Ask the dealer what they put in. It should take 6.5 quarts of oil for an oil change, capacity is 7 quarts, but a .5 quart must stay in and it takes 6.5 quarts for a refill.

After about 7,000 miles on my Hemi, I switched over to synthetic oil, am using Mobil 1 oil that is 5W20 and a good filter.

I was getting my oil changed at a local private garage but they started charging too much money, so my 42 year old son does my oil changes now.

Would like to do it myself but my health prevents it.

Hell to get old,

Bob

Old 07-28-2005, 01:06 PM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Fortunately my local dealer, University Dodge in Davie, Fl has an exellent service department.
As a matter of fact I was drawn to buy the R/T there because of the great way the SVC center treated my wife with her car.
Like I said they gave me a free oil change at 500mi because it was the right thing to do for the car.

There are at least 6 Dodge dealerships in the Ft Lauderdale / Miami area.
I've probably dealt with 1/2 of them and I will ONLY deal with University now.

All I'm suggesting is don't feel you have to go where you bought the car for service if you're not satisfied.
Check out others available within driving distance, there are some good ones out there.

You can get the greatest deal on earth but if the service dept. sux it diminishes the entire experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need feed back...