Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Gauge Cluster Light Out and Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:17 AM
schenk2826
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Light Out and Strange Noise

2005 Magnum R/T, 196K, stock, no mods

I suspect this might have been addressed before, so if anyone knows where I can find it, much appreciated.

So, about 2 months ago when driving at night my gauge cluster lights would flicker on and off, but always seemed to come on. I figured it might be the headlight switch but was skeptical since just the gauge cluster lights had the issue and not the headlights or other interior lights. Tried another switch anyway hoping for a simple fix and had the same issue.

Then about a month ago the cluster lights quit. And, now when the headlights are on there is a whining/buzzing that goes up and down with the dimmer dial on the headlight switch. I engaged the gauge cluster diagnostic using the trip odometer pin/button and ignition and the cluster runs its diagnostic and responds and seems to test okay. And the gauges, odometer, info center, etc. all still work. I just cannot see the gauges at night.

I know there are a lot of post about the gauge cluster on here, but none I read seemed to be this exact issue. If there is one dealing with exactly this and you can point me to it, much appreciated.

Outside of that, any ideas?

Could it just be a bad/shorted bulb in the cluster? If so, is that replaceable? And if so, any how to's on getting to it?

If I have to go with a new cluster, as I understand it the BCM/odometer is integrated into the gauge cluster, so if you want the odometer to be accurate on a new cluster you have to go to the dealer? Any other options to get it accurate? Any suggestions on where to get a new cluster?

Thanks,

Troy