Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Another new SE owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Imsinin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new SE owner

Hello everyone, I have been reading the forums for awhile now but was a bit afraid to post due to all the bashing on the SE model. I had to work with a budget in order to do all my custom work. I do have a few questions though and since many of you seem knowlegeable, maybe you can help.

I am doing an exhaust and intake this weekend (hopefully) and I am curious if a jet chip would be worth the extra money? I have read mixed reviews on the topic, but most of them were from RT owners. Any opinions or input would be great!

I purchased this car as my stereo show car, so it will not be used for much other than that and in town driving but I would love to get just a bit more pep out of it.

Again, nice to meet all of you, I am very happy to be here with folks that share the same interests!

2005 Dodge Magnum SE
25K miles
Katzkin Custom Leather (not installed yet)
2 JL Audio 10w7's
2 JL Audio 500/1 Amps
1 JL Audio 300/4 Amp
Pioneer Primier DEH 960MP (6.5v)
MB Quartz m&h
Custom Grille + Fogs
Lots of Custom interior trim and paint
Cargo area fully rebuilt w/ wood, fiberglass and re-covered.
Fatmat done to make it all sound pretty

Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: Another new SE owner

I don't know if there is a chip for the SE and dunno if the intake is different for the se than the sxt. I suggest hittin a muffler shop and having then Y off some twice pipes for you, ditching much of the factory hooha they ship em with. Dunno how much gain you'll get, probably a little but you'll have a totally different sounds and some cool phat tips stickin out da back. You'll have to notch one side of the rear fascia to match but that'll just look cooler.
show some pics of that sweet system your totin, man. What are you hittin? high 130s?

welcome, man

Old 11-17-2005, 02:05 AM
undropped
Veteran

welcome to the elite group, anyone can own an RT, but it takes someone very special to cruise an SE.

anyway, i have yet to see a chip for the little 2.7, however there are a couple of CAI's on ebay (about 100 bucks) from time to time.

as for exhaust, i had a muffler shop chop every thing behind the y-pipe and replace it with a single-in, dual-out flowmaster 40, gives a sweet hotrod lope at idle, and a sports car roar at throttle, as for the rear bumper i filled the stock cutout and had turndown tips put on.

if you really want to go crazy you could buy the driver side rear heat shield for the gas tank and run dual mufflers (might as well, already have dual cats)

good luck, and welcome

[IMG]local://upfiles/13151/42B110ABBBC4412E928E7C6365110F7E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2005, 03:49 AM
crazymjb
Professional

I don't mean this in any negative way at all. But as an SE owner putting in that amount of money for a CAI and an Exhaust setup wouldn't it have made more sense just to go with an SXT? Undropped, is that yours? And if so, it looks like with the Rims, Drop, etc and the cool stuff you probably have inside you could have gone with an RT, why didn't you. Again, I am just curious, not trying to make fun or anything negative like that.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Imsinin
Rookie

Hey all, thanks for the great info, I did find a jet chip for the 2.7 last night, so I will give it a try and let you all know how it works. As far as pics, not to sound ignorant, how do I post them on here?

Crazymjb, you actualy had a good point, I have been asking myself the same question, I wish I would have went with an SXT but, I took a big hit on my 2000 Durango when I traded it in and could only finance so much or I would have took the SXT hands down. So far so good with the SE though, well see how it works out.

Thanks for the welcome, I will get back with ya on the pics when I figure out how to post tm=hem.

Later

Old 11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Welcome Imsinin!!

I too was stuck unside down on the trade-in of my 02 Ram 1500 truck. As for choosing the SE, the way I look at it (after the many SXT vs RT hits), is that anyone that I would want to listen would use tact and the other I just ignore. The money I saved by not getting the RT (inital cost, insurance and the lil mpg improvment paid for the stereo, roof shave and the future lowering. Granted, if I leave the stuffin the car later in the future, I wont get any kind of return worth it. I would love to say that this is my last car that I will buy, but I know better.

As for posting pics there are a few ways.
1) Have the pics in a digital format (use digital cam or scanned pics)
Use the "click here to upload!) link at the bottom of the post window (total Max. 500KB; gif/txt/jpg are supported) Just make sure they are bigenough to see any detail that you are trying to show. Also check the "embed pic in post" to have a thumbnail shown.
Browse on you computer for them and click ok.

If you dont have the software or know-how to resize the pics to fit the 500kb requirement, you can email them to me and I will resize and send back or post here for you. dheath_1999@yahoo.com Just get a hold of me in a post to let me know that you send them.

2) Post them to another site and crosslink it to here. This saves disk space here at the forum but costs you bandwidth at the other site that you posted them on. Because everytime someone opens the post the files are sent from the originating site. Ask grinner about this hahah "bandwidth excessed" hahah.

3) Go the gallery here and post the pics.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
snailtek

oh cool! another SE owner added to the elite group..

anyway, nice to have u onboad.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 PM
crazymjb
Professional

As far as milage with the SE, how are you doing with all those power add ons?

Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Imsinin
Rookie

The power issues is a big mess right now. This is the first car that even running two batteries is still getting BAD battery draw. I upgraded to O gauge last weekend and still no better. I ran all new grounds and am now planning to upgrade all the factory power (alt, etc.) to O gauge as well. I am a bit stumped at this point. When we meter everything, it is all working optimal, so only time will tell I guess.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 AM
undropped
Veteran

ORIGINAL: crazymjb

I don't mean this in any negative way at all. But as an SE owner putting in that amount of money for a CAI and an Exhaust setup wouldn't it have made more sense just to go with an SXT? Undropped, is that yours? And if so, it looks like with the Rims, Drop, etc and the cool stuff you probably have inside you could have gone with an RT, why didn't you. Again, I am just curious, not trying to make fun or anything negative like that.

let me say this, when i bought my magnum in november last year it was 17 grand, the rt was 38, plus i traded in a car that i had owned for a year and half. Do i wish i had the hemi somedays, do i wish i would have waited till now and buy a used rt, not really. If i had kept my 2002 gran prix gtp i would probably be in jail, you can only get so many 30 over tickets, and even fewer 55 over.

also, don't discount the little 2.7, it is my second, has said before it is not a big grunt motor, but dig into hard and it will move that fat ***, the more i drive my car, and the harder the more power it seems to find, with only 12 grand on the odometer i have just begun to break in the motor. My concorde would burn the tires with no problem, once it hit about 20 grand, but not after it hit that chevy

Quick Reply: Another new SE owner