Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Lost communication with gear shift control module

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:08 PM
King Nothing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lost communication with gear shift control module

Hello. I could use a little help.

A while ago, on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT went into limp mode and would not leave first gear or go over 3000 RPMs. When in park, I had to use the BTSI override button to get into gear. I started searching for answers on the Internet, and went to O'Reilly auto parts to get them to read the codes. It came back with several codes and suggested several parts to replace.

So far, I have replace the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, transmission control module, and electronic control unit. All of the codes are gone except for one, and it is still putting my car into limp mode. The last code is "lost communication with gear shift control module". Before, I had torque request denial code's and a few others that have all disappeared with some of the new parts. I have disconnected the battery to clear the codes, but this code will not go away and I need help figuring out what to do next.

I have seen messages saying everything from unplug and replace fuse 11, replace the can bus, replace the gearshift module and check for broken wires. I've also seen someone suggest to try to communicate with the gearshift module, but I have no idea how to do this, and don't have a sophisticated code reader or anything that can do it. I just got laid off, so money is an issue, otherwise I would take it to a shop. But I'm trying to fix this on my own. I've rebuilt engines and am good at mechanical problems, but these electrical issues are things I don't know how to properly diagnose or treat the problem. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!

Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Kathy Hasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix?

Hello I am having the same problem and have checked every fuse/ground connection/diode everything! It runs and drives excellent until it throws that code and the check engine light comes on. It only lasts for a second and goes back to normal but during that time ibdont let the transmission shift out of whatever gear it was in when it happened.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Often times things get spilled on the shifter bezel. Just so happens the shift module is under that. You might be able to clean it with electric contact cleaner. If you take your bezel off, you'll see the small rectangle plug.

There have also been cases where the BUS wires from the trans computer rub on the parking brake mechanism. The first person who posted here is probably having this issue, judging from the parts they threw at it.

FYI, just because Auto Zone reads a code that doesn't mean you need to buy parts from them. Get a diagnosis from someone qualified then replace parts.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-13-2017 at 09:54 PM.