Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

P0300 code, smoke from exhaust and engine 2005 5.7 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:30 AM
Cold Djinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy P0300 code, smoke from exhaust and engine 2005 5.7 RWD

Once again, "Christine" is having issues.

From the day the Dodge dealer replaced the gas tank under warranty and the right fuel pump which suddenly failed the day we had the tank appointment, we've had problems with random rough idle, stalling, etc.
Dealer says it's not happening and they had nothing to do with it, despite tearing up the plastic panels under the body from placing the car in the wrong position on the lift.

Tonight, in Lowes parking lot, it pitched the mother of all fits and got towed home.
Again.

Timeline:

Car seemed to be fine, put $10 in the tank from a full service station and went on my way.
No issues.
Came out of Lowes, it would not start.
Felt like getting no fuel.
Strong crank so battery is not likely the problem.
Kept at it and finally got it to turn over only by giving far more gas than it should have needed.
Had to keep it revved up to get past the stalling.
Whitish smoke was rolling out of both pipes and later, smoke rising from the engine.
He said smoke smelled "watery" but I don't know as I lost my sense of smell in 1981.
Car is beyond "ticking", more like hammering.
Himself claims it's in the center/front of the engine.

Key dance finally gave me a P0300 with annoying check engine light.
Unlike normal error codes [so familiar with those, by now] it flashed the P0300 and then went to the blank line in a second or less.

The error code possibilities seem uniform in a Google search but he argues it's the timing chain.
I have no idea but I'm weary of hearing it from him.

Also, in the past, after the tank/pump replacement, we've had this error which the Dodge dealer said would "go away eventually"

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1)

This thing, for better or worse, is my love.
2005 Magnum Hemi, 5.7 with over 200K on motor.

Please, if you have any idea how to save my baby, please share.

Since my service dog fell over dead, suddenly, 2 years ago, I have very few things I love beyond all reason and the Mag is on of them.
I cannot overstate how much the car means to me.

Thank you,

Shari

Last edited by Cold Djinn; 07-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 AM
Cold Djinn

So he changed all the plugs and wires today, swapping out the old platinum for Champion copper.
He said some of the plugs were trashed, with bent electrodes and missing centers.
We had no idea we shouldn't use platinum plugs.
They were installed 3 years ago.
The new plugs and wires did not help.
Still smokes and knocks.
He said the knock is coming from the top of the motor, not the bottom.

Please offer advice.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

The type of plugs it takes are in the owners manual. If the plugs that came out had bent electrodes and missing pieces, that means piston contact. There's a better than even chance you have holes in your pistons. Only way to know for sure is run a compression test to identify any cylinders out of spec and either borescope them or pull the head to see. Based on some of your symptoms it sounds like a dropped valve seat may be a possibility as well. Have you ever overheated it, even a little? The early heads were known for having little tolerance to being overheated and would drop a valve seat at the drop of a hat for even a little bit.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Woodys4144
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bent electrodes on #1 and #3 with 219000 miles

Hello,
I have been chasing a bent electrode issue for better over a year.
Approximately a year ago #1 cylinder gave me a misfire code. Upon removing the plugs both were smashed tight and shorted. I put a set of plugs in it and it has been running fine until recently.
Again this is a high RPM event 5000-5500. Trying to make a ramp had to accelerate hard at the top of the ramp had poor idle condition. Installed JPRO and found I had secondary coil circuit failed #3 cylinder also an evap code. Replaced gas cap eliminated evap. removed plugs from # 3 cylinder and they had been hit pretty hard installed new plugs and code went to pending or inactive 303 misfire. Was able to clear it out. Truck ran great the rest of the week and has done fairly good since then a recent bore scope of #1 and #3 cylinders determined that detonation has caused the crowns of both pistons to start to come apart. This is what has hit the plugs and caused damage.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:01 AM
Cold Djinn

Originally Posted by Magnoom
The type of plugs it takes are in the owners manual. If the plugs that came out had bent electrodes and missing pieces, that means piston contact. There's a better than even chance you have holes in your pistons. Only way to know for sure is run a compression test to identify any cylinders out of spec and either borescope them or pull the head to see. Based on some of your symptoms it sounds like a dropped valve seat may be a possibility as well. Have you ever overheated it, even a little? The early heads were known for having little tolerance to being overheated and would drop a valve seat at the drop of a hat for even a little bit.
He said the valve seat is trashed.
We cannot afford a whole new motor and have no idea if a rebuild would help.
He's been trying to sell his Harley to fix my car.
Since this happened, he fell and broke his hip, had two "small heart attacks" and was diagnosed with CHF so things look really grim at this point.
Driving a $500 PT Cruiser and praying it holds together because it's all we have, now.
A former Dodge dealer mechanic was supposed to come look at it and tell us what is wrong and what we can do, but hasn't been here yet.

I'm just heartbroken.
I feel cursed.
I love that car and having it crap out was the just the beginning of woes.
And also my old dog died in September.

I'm just out of hope, now.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Woodys4144
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sorry for all you are going through there. I have other pics that show better signs that look like some detonation going on.
At this point I think I am going to LKQ I can pull an engine out for 400 bucks to get me going then tear this one down and take my time and build it back the right way.
Good luck to you and never give up there is always a way,

The following 2 users liked this post by Woodys4144:
Cold Djinn (06-17-2020), Lowvolks7868 (09-12-2020)

Quick Reply: P0300 code, smoke from exhaust and engine 2005 5.7 RWD