DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Magnum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum-60/)
-   -   Dodge GPS/Radio 10 yr old Roadmap Database (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum/44095-dodge-gps-radio-10-yr-old-roadmap-database.html)

IXLR8 01-01-2006 12:15 PM

Dodge GPS/Radio 10 yr old Roadmap Database

I have the 6CD Navigation radio in my 2006 Dodge, but the map that is included is 10 or more years old. Most of the time it shows me driving through a field even though the streets that I am driving on have been there for 10 or more years! This is not limited to one area, I have traversed about 500 square miles with similar results. Is anyone else having this problem? Would anyone else like to join me in a complaint to Dodge for supplying substandard equipment? I have attempted to contact Dodge (REFERENCE NUMBER: 14413809) and the reply was:

"It is the policy of DaimlerChrysler Corporation that we do not publicly discuss specifics of future product plans. "

Sounds like a lack of support for the consumer, I hope the rest of the service does not follow this poor initial response.

I have had a chance to use the Navigation software from several manufacturers:

TomTom - Good, goofy graphics, good product
Delorme w/GPS - Streets off of actual location by as much as 400 ft, some times shows you driving on the wrong street, great turn by turn directions, confused when straying from path
Garmin Roadmate- About two year old maps currently, operates well
Microsoft Streets & Trips w/GPS - The Gold Standard - Nearly perfect, data is impeccable
Lexus - in 2004 SC430 - Excellent, even shows dirt roads on my friends hunting lease in South Texas
BMW - Very good
Dodge - Uses a database so old that it could not even be purchased today! What are they thinking.

Very few things make me this upset. When I finally pony up my money, and it is a LOT of money to buy a factory GPS system, it ends up being the the lowest rated device I have ever seen. I would say my Dodge ownership experience is at a very low point right now.

By the way Dodge, other manufacturers offer yearly updates! Lexus updates theirs every October, Mercedes offers NavUpdate yearly, all of the handheld deveices are updated regularly. I guess that just leaves Dodge with useless piece of hardware.

Grand Patron 01-01-2006 01:28 PM

RE: Dodge GPS/Radio 10 yr old Roadmap Database

My wife has a 2001 Lexus with factory Nav and you're right, it even shows dirt roads.
I grew up 3 miles south if a town with 150 people. The 2001 Lexus unit has every street in that town and the dirt road going by my old home place.

I have the factory unit in my Magnum and I am not happy at all.

I have tried to find out who makes the Lexus unit but can't find anybody who knows anything.

What's the best aftermarket unit I can buy to subsidise mine?

IXLR8 09-19-2006 09:02 PM

Guess What?

I just received the NAVTEQ brochure to update my Dodge Indash GPS DVD.

$199.00 $199.00 $199.00 $199.00 $199.00 $199.00 $199.00 $199.00!!!!

Can't you buy a new GPS nowadays for the same amount of money?

Who are they kidding....

Microsoft Streets and Trips is $49.00 and has better information!

'nuff said

Strykker 09-19-2006 11:14 PM

I'm old fashion in this regard. I pull out my newly bought Atlas and off I go. If I get lost, oh well just another reason to keep driving. Seriously, old data is worthless data, that just plain sucks.

strippedhemi 09-21-2006 12:50 PM

I have a Navman. I use it in both cars and my plane. I dont get the manufacturers in dash because then you buy one for each vehicle and have to learn how to use each one. Also downside is its usually hidden down in the dash panel and aftermarket ones are mounted right in front of your face. I can use the screen and still keep my eye on the road. Mine is a few years outdated too and there is no update service only a new card for $100 and they dont guarantee thats its much more accurate. Mine does show dirt back roads if I chose even farmers driveways, but some new interstates dont show at all....like you said, Im driving in a field.

Silver bullit 09-21-2006 09:11 PM

Yes i will join you in a quest to get this done. what direction do you think we should go.