DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Magnum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum-60/)
-   -   Is this possible? Viper Engine in a Magnum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum/83041-is-this-possible-viper-engine-in-a-magnum.html)

NVES 11-27-2006 07:23 PM

Is this possible? Viper Engine in a Magnum

Hey all,

First off, I don't own a Magnum - yet. I love the look and it's only a matter of time before I own one. However, my issue is I can never have enough performance - so obviously I plan on modding the hell out of my Magnum.

Given the problems with properly tuning the ECM, is it possible to pull out the motor and trans from a Magnum and put in a Viper engine / trans?

Thanks for at least humouring me!

Aaron.

MangoInTX 11-28-2006 01:06 AM

RE: Is this possible? Viper Engine in a Magnum

I would never say impossible, but worth your time and money... IMHO it's not practical.

RT 2 NV 11-28-2006 01:11 PM

just buy the viper if you have that kind of cash.

NVES 11-28-2006 03:25 PM

If I had the cash I would buy a viper - but I don't so I'm left with trying to get as much bang for my buck.

The engine swap was me thinking outside the box. Now that I know a viper engine isn't possible, how about an old school Hemi engine swap??

Thanks,
Aaron

MangoInTX 11-28-2006 03:35 PM

What is it that you have, an R/T?

How about stoking it or waiting for a viable turbo/supercharger.

RT 2 NV 11-28-2006 04:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...spagenameZWDVW

there is just the motor for a viper and not even new or factory, and still need the trans. by the time your done with install and all of the other upgrades you will need like brakes, radiator, fans, ect. you will be at about 30-40g's plus your car cost of 25-30g's thats almost 70g's. you can find a nice viper for that price. im sure and old school motor will not be much cheaper and thats if it would even work with the computer system in the new car. mango is right do something like the stoking or super charger it would be more like 10-15g's. still big money!!!!

DevilsReject 11-28-2006 05:14 PM

For starters, putting a Viper engine in a Magnum CAN be done. I've seen one in a 2nd Gen Dakota......so yes, it could be done.

Locate a used Magnum - one of those 2.7L V6 sludge buckets and yank the motor/trans. You could probably snag one of these for 10-15k possibly.....drop in a 30k motor/trans....

That said, you'd be looking at a lot of custom work and you would definitely need a good performance suspension/brake system.

If they can put a Viper motor in a Challenger, Charger (old school), Dakota, and even in a few other vehicles......why not a Magnum? I personally think it would be the ultimate in kickass station wagons....even more then the Magnum already is.....not to mention that would be an ultimate sleeper....

The guys are right in that you could wait for a cheaper/easier solution.....but honestly.....I think you should give it a shot...

NVES 11-28-2006 07:36 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. As I stated above - I was just thinking outside the box. A viper engine in a magnum would be the ultimate sleeper!!!!

My plan is to wait for 'bolt-on' products to be fully tested and can be used on a daily driver with little reliability issues.

shiltz 11-28-2006 08:31 PM

Definatly could be done with money, heck someone stuffed a Viper engine under the hood of a PT cruiser, but with all the costs involved it's really wouldn't be worth it (well aside from having a completely unique car), you would probably be better off getting an SRT-8 and putting $5-10k into a supercharger for it.

Redhouse 11-28-2006 11:21 PM

I have been down the track at 200mph in a Viper and it was unreal. If I could get that in my Magnum, I wouldn't even care about the cost, it would be f-ing awesome!