Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Magnum for towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
AMCguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum for towing

Hi all,

I'm new here and would appreciate your input.

I need a vehicle that will tow; common sense tells me to get a full sized truck or van with a diesel or hemi, but I've liked the Magnum Wagons since they came out, and am looking for those closer. I'm in the "research phase" now, and who better to talk to but those that own them? I'm specifically looking for/at a RT 5.7L.

I went to www.kbb.com for new car pricing. If you haven't been there, it's a great tool for showing available options plus pricing. I noticed that the RT 5.7 has a tow option. Does anyone have this option, and/or use theirs for towing? I have not seen a Magnum with a tow hitch on it, and am curious how that's done. From looking at the back, they look low with no place to mount on. I have not been to a dealer yet. I will probably buy used when I'm ready.

Any help/input would really be appreciated! I have a4 cylinder truck that's in good shape, gets almost 30 mpg, and does 99% of the things I need a truck for except for the tow capability. I use it everyday for work and general driving. I hate to get rid of it, and couldn't justify having a big truck just for the occasional tow requirement. I have old cars - AMC's - and need to take those here and there once in a while. I could justify having a Magnum as it serves many purposes with good performance, and room inside for family and friends.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:12 PM
coolchevy
Default RE: Magnum for towing

and if anyone needs a class2 trailer hitch, I have still one brand new in teh box for Sale for 95 bucks......

I actually have towed my race car quite often with the Magnum and it works great. Only thing i did was to install a really huge tranny cooler.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I tow an open car trailer with my RT. The Hemi has more than enough power. Im pretty sure all the RT/ Hemi packages have heavy duty cooling. I think the only real difference in the tow option is the self leveling shocks on the rear. I dont have the package on mine, and I havent had any problem at all. Even the temp stayed the same in the dead of summer as it did without the trailer. I highly recomment Synthetic oil as heat dont degrade it like dino oil. I load the cars so theyre balanced on the trailer so my Magnum still is riding level.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Willy18

ORIGINAL: coolchevy

and if anyone needs a class2 trailer hitch, I have still one brand new in teh box for Sale for 95 bucks......

I actually have towed my race car quite often with the Magnum and it works great. Only thing i did was to install a really huge tranny cooler.
Hey CoolChevy,
Is that a Mopar Hitch? 2"?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM
coolchevy

it is a hidden Drawtite hitch class2 for 3500lbs. It is "parked" at a friends shop near Chicago because I needed one badly and could not get it to Europe in time. Thus, had to purchase one locally from my friendly Chrysler dealer for a lot of bucks.

Brand new in the box.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Willy18

ORIGINAL: coolchevy

it is a hidden Drawtite hitch class2 for 3500lbs. It is "parked" at a friends shop near Chicago because I needed one badly and could not get it to Europe in time. Thus, had to purchase one locally from my friendly Chrysler dealer for a lot of bucks.

Brand new in the box.
So this is Part Number:36325 according to Drawtite's web site. 1-1/4" x 1-1/4". Correct?
Do you have the Draw Bar or T-One Connector with it?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
coolchevy

to be exact it is exactly that model

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=338

Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I dont know about the aftermarket ones, but the factory hitch you will never see unless something is hitched up. I love the way its COMPLETELY hidden unless you lie on the ground. Im getting one on the Challenger too.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM
scooter121

My 2006 does not have the tow package and bottoms out all the time, I hadto give up on towing. I found a 3500# 2"x2" hitch, special order from U-haul P/N 75171. They don't even know they have it available.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

If you really have a problem, you could always install aftermarket air shocks. Like I said, mine dont have the tow package and I haul Corvettes all the time on my trailer, even on gravel roads with no problems. What are you hauling that makes it bottom out? I even hauled an 18' travel trailer once.

Quick Reply: Magnum for towing