Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

Buy a 69 Satelite or build a '68 Barracuda?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 PM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy a 69 Satelite or build a '68 Barracuda?

Just curious what you guys think. Having just lost access to the '69 Barracuda fastback in a divorce my dad wants a car for next summer. He's got a '68 Barracuda Convertible in the shop that needs a lot of work. Car is mostly original with only 48,000miles, numbers matching down to the original date coded plug wires. Car was purchased in peices and included new quarters, inner fenders, top and some spare used fenders, interior is all good except the front seat covers. It has NO floor, and needs some frame repair. Estimated cost to put it back on the road; $20,000-25,000. He has the oppurtunity to buy a '69 Sattelite, all original including paint, one owner, 60,000miles. It's only a 318 car and the guy wants $20k for it. He thinks he could get it for a bit less. While the initial investment would be less on the sattelite I think the cuda would be worth a ton more in the end. The satellite is road ready and having the cuda done for next summer would be a major undertaking, what would some of you do?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
fc7gtx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buy a 69 Satelite or build a '68 Barracuda?

If those are the only two options I would restore the The '68 Convert. IMHO, No way is that '69 Satellite (318) worth $20,000. That would be a mistake buying that thing even if its a nice driver. Maybe $12,000 but not $20,000, at least here in the US.. I would actually consider option three. Look for something else. That Cuda is going to be alot of work and after its said and done still might not be worth the investment. If he really loves the car, that's another matter. I would search around for option three. You can buy a pretty decent car fo $20,000-25,000 so look around this winter and spring. Just about the time be plunks down $20,000 for that Satellite he will see a car in the local bargain post that really looks good and then what do you do. Sorry for my honesty but thats what I would do. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

Gotta agree with Chris on this one..... $20K for a 318 Satellite is just stupid money. With some hunting, you could locate a GTX in need of some work for that much coin. The Barracuda 'vert will always be the more desireable of the two because it's a ragtop, but what it would take to put it back on the road is probably the top range of what it's currently worth. Depends on how much he likes it, since he already has it. If he's determined to buy something different that will be road ready for next year, start hunting for something other than that Satellite- it's way overpriced.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Ramrat
Professional

have to go with the same on the satt. way over priced, but the cuda....well it may just be me but if i was looking to spend that kind of money anyway, ragtop all the way, but i've allways been a cuda man so that may just be me

G.A.F.
Gearheads Against Fartcans

Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain

Have to agree with Ramrat. Rebuild the Cuda. When it comes to classic cars we restore for the love of it. My '53 Jag will cost me more over the next few years than it will ever be worth, then again who knows. When the old cars are gone, that's it. Now I'm starting to ramble but you get my drift....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy a 69 Satelite or build a '68 Barracuda?