Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

hardcore clicking/clacking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Magnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardcore clicking/clacking

Alright, I'll try to keep this as clear and blunt as possible.

I have a 1999 Neon 2.0L SOHC with 57,000mi as of 9/20/04. It's been using 5W-30 non-synthetic since I got it, I'm not sure what was in it when acquired (43,000 mi) but it did not make the noise until I had it for about 4-5 months.

Engine makes this clicking/clacking sound when it's cold and under load, although if just left to idle, it takes a little bit before the noise comes. Once the noise comes, it's like clockwork, an exact duration of time between each click.

When the noise first started, sometimes the car would never do this until after it has been driven. Now it does it all the time.

After the engine is warm or it has been driven, it still clicks but only under 1500 RPM, it doesn't get louder as the engine goes faster, the click is just more frequent. It seems to come from the bottom of the engine, but I can't be sure.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm going to bring it in (hopefully before winter) and the mechanic I'm bringing it to suggested that one or more of the rocker arms/lash adjusters may be bad. He says the whole assembly must be ordered, for all 16 valves, and estimates that the complete cost of the repair will be about $520.

Is the mechanic right or close to the problem, and is that a fair deal?

P.S. Anyone familiar with Restore? When I added it during an oil change, the noise went away. The day I changed the oil again (without it) the noise came back instantly. Any clue?

Old 09-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: hardcore clicking/clacking

The mechanic may be right. The sound that you describe is reminiscent of valetrain noise or tap. However, $520 is not a fair price. You can get rockers for the car on your own and do the job yourself for a lot less.

Now, if you've floated a lifter or thrown a rod or something then the price is fair. But I'd start witht he rockers.

Note, almost all neons will have a valvetrain noise, it's common place but if it does become excessive and whatnot there is a very good chance there is a problem.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Magnum

I'm hoping it is just valves. I had a Chrysler dealer look at it, and he was saying it could be piston slap but he wasn't sure, and I know he was giving me a load of crap because he probably thought the car was under 7/70 or something. $1,300 to replace pistons according to them, which in that case I'll just get an engine swap.

Now, the mechanic that I've went to thought it might have been just a lash adjuster, and he called in to get the prices, and you HAVE to order the whole assembly. I had a soundclip of what the car sounded like back in April, but the webhost is down, so you can contact me on AIM: arcticsnopro2004 or ultimatedriver[dot]hotmail[dot]com for MSN to hear what it sounds like.

This isn't the normal valvetrain noise as far as I can tell, these are sharp clicks, not tapping sounds. And I doubt it's piston slap, because again, it's such a sharp click that lasts about as long as snapping your fingers does. I'm not that technical as you can see, lol I just try to keep this as simple as I can.

If I get the valve job done, is it safe to switch over to 5W-30 synthetic? Or should I stay non-synth based?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yeah, unfortunately the rockers have to be ordered as an entire assmebly since they are one piece. I'd replace them. They aren't too expensive.

You shoul dbe fine using synthetic. I think it's a fluke that it got worse. Thye were probably on their way out anyway.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Magnum

Thanks a lot for everything, and I have one final question...

If it were those assemblies, shouldn't the noise be coming from the upper part of the engine rather than the lower? And you can hear it loudest when you're sitting in the driver's seat with the door open, maybe it's an exhaust problem rather than intake?

The noise is ambiently heard best when you listen into either wheel well...whatever that may mean, I don't know. Can you give me a good location to listen to the noise from the valves with my mechanics stethescope?

Old 09-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Put it on the valvecover.

It could also very well be an exhaust issue as well.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:42 AM
sushi423
Veteran

what abot noise from the doors??? idk why but on teh e-way i heard crazy crackling and clicking comming from under my doors ...im thnking it weas prolly just ****ing rocks from dumb *** trucks. the sound was only there for like 2 mins.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:43 AM
y2neones
Veteran

what fuel do you use

Old 09-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Magnum

I buy my gas from Mobil stations, 87 octane. I don't think it's a pinging / spark knocking issue.

About the noise from the doors, it's still the same engine noise, it's just that when I'm behind the engine, I hear it louder. Lower in the engine and in the back is the best place I can describe the noise coming from.

Now, I know I sound completely retarded, but is the valve cover just that uppermost cover that the spark plug tubes go down into? Because the noise isn't coming from that...[&:]

Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Magnum

I apologize for the double post...but is this the valve cover?

[IMG]local://upfiles/7889/88EF33237838445C918C6869D6980D15.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: hardcore clicking/clacking