Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 AM
winddancer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!

i run bosh +4 since i got my car in 99 and never had a probem but the next time i change them i will try ngk and see how they work

Old 05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
NeonDriver01
Rookie

Do they sell the NGK at any parts store? or is it a special order? I never buy anything from autozone, just the local parts store in my town, i found that autozone parts dont work very well or last very long, tried wipers/plugs ect from autozone all crap so ill give these NKG's a try, havent changed the plugs in a loong time so i guess now would be a good time to try them out.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:47 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NeonDriver01

Do they sell the NGK at any parts store? or is it a special order? I never buy anything from autozone, just the local parts store in my town, i found that autozone parts dont work very well or last very long, tried wipers/plugs ect from autozone all crap so ill give these NKG's a try, havent changed the plugs in a loong time so i guess now would be a good time to try them out.
they can be picked up at most parts stores. i forget which ones for sure carry the nkg's really.. but yeah theyre not special order.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

No here are the best spark plugs to get for it right now. They are the NOLOGY silverstones I dont believe there is a better performing and high quality plug out there for your compact tuner. Hot wires by nology are a good combo to use in conjunction with them. These are available for NEONS with an Ignition COIL upgrade available too.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:20 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meh, i would personally steer clear of Nology stuff. especially their plug wires. $150 plug wires? heh. they arent known as "gimmick" wires in the neon world for no reason

Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 AM
lik00usn

What's the part number for the NGK's?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:56 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

I bought some bosch quads for my car at about 25k and have had them in there ever since - I havent had any problems like you guys say but I did pull em the other day and they looked roasted - all white, and erroded - not good, either they are burning way too hot or my engine is running way too lean, and seen how I havent blown any codes im figuring its the plugs - when I ran hondas before I bought the dodge I always used em and never had any problems but comparing a dodge to a honda is like comparing japanese ***** to american (hope I dont offend anyone with that statement ), I like both but they are def different....anyway I should get rid of those plugs huh - what runs good? I need a cooler plug for sure...

Old 05-21-2005, 06:41 AM
nippondrifterae111
Professional

Im jap and that is offensive! Not Kool but i forgive you this time!

Old 05-21-2005, 11:24 AM
mechengineer201
Rookie

I never said either were bad - just different - I like different..

Old 05-22-2005, 10:44 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had only Champion Platinums in my '99 Neon R/T the entire time I owned it, 3 years+, and it ran flawless. I hear people always ragging on Champion spark plugs, yet I have always used them from the $.99 cheapies to the Platinums without any problems what so ever. I have tried many other brands from Bosh to Accel U-groove to Splitfires and I have yet to see any improvement in performance, so I'll stick with my good ol' Champions, that has always been Mopars plug of choice and it is mine as well. And yes I am aware that more recently they have also used Bosch and NGK, but they have always used Champions.

I think the greater problem in the ignition system is the sad plug wires, they have between 1,500-3,200 ohms resistance and they're not even a foot long. Everyone that has the 2.0L DOHC or the 2.4L DOHC need to switch them over to MSD Super Conductor plug wires, they smooth out the idle, they actually give it a stronger meaner sounding exhaust (most don't believe this until they get them and then they are shocked that they could make that kind of a difference) and increase horsepower and fuel mileage. They have less than 50 ohms per foot of resistance and since none of the plug wires are even that long, they are between 20-40 ohms resistance which is thousands of times better than stock.

Combining the MSD Super Conductor plug wires with a set of Champion Platinum spark plugs is a great and flawless combo. I know this for a fact since I've ran this combo in my '99 R/T for the 3+ years I owned it and now with my '04 SRT-4 and they are both still running great. In fact, my '99 R/T with the MSD wires and Champion plugs also had/has the Mopar Performance CAI, cat-back exhaust, chrome header, motor mounts, bobble strut and PCM (computer) as well as front strut tower brace, MSD coil and REX motor mount inserts on it and with a few drag runs mixed with in town and freeway driving averaged 35+ MPG. My SRT-4 with the MSD wires and Champion plugs also had the Mopar Performance cat-back exhaust, STS and BOV as well as K & N Typhoon CAI, MSD coil, 2 OCC's, Prothane race motor mount inserts and front and rear strut tower braces on it and with the same type driving as the R/T, with the exception of more spirited driving, it got 21.9 MPG the one time I checked it. It would get better if I could keep from enjoying the turbo, but it now has the Mopar Performance Stage 1 on it too.

Quick Reply: Why you shouldnt run platinum plugs in the neon!