Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Ambient Temp Sensor OR Intake air temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
redsl
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambient Temp Sensor OR Intake air temp sensor?

I have a 2003 neon sxt. i have a code of 071 which states ambient temp sensor. I was told that that is the same sensor as air intake temp . My manual says there is a seperate code for each of them. I don't understand. Dodge dealer said he never heard of ambient temp sensor. If i do have one of these where is it located. I know the other one is on the air cleaner box. Please help thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM
AndrewH
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ambient air refers to the measurement the computer takes in regards to the ambient air temperature as it enters the intake. It then uses that info to calculate the air density for the air/fuel ratio (could be wrong - trying to remember how all these different systems work).

If memory serves me correctly, you need to check the MAF (mass air flow) meter, which should be between the air filter box and the throttle body.

After a quick search, I believe the Neons use a MAP system, which I'm not as familiar with but I'm pretty sure works the same/similar way.

I'm not sure if you can test the MAP sensor, but it should be within the intake or very near it.

Quick Reply: Ambient Temp Sensor OR Intake air temp sensor?