Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

I have a question about headlight covers or eyelids?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Kuehnl219
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question about headlight covers or eyelids?

I noticed on a neon i was looking at on cardomain.com that this neon had like custom made or something like eyelids like i have in this picture if you cant see the picture then go here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/209497
Then look at the head lights. I want to do this on my car but want to know how they did it. Any suggestions
Thanx IM new
Brandon [&:]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18017/BA3F6318B1DD4C65BF84CF1663D2DBDB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-17-2005, 12:29 PM
catman22
Professional
Default RE: I have a question about headlight covers or eyelids?

it looks like they just covered what they did not want to be covered with paint and painted the rest because it is green just like the car. but why not send the guy an email. his email adress is on the bottom of the page.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:29 AM
AmericanCRacer

I painted my EYELIDS. I did not go all the way around like the pic there. But let me tell you how I did mine.

I used masking tape to tape off the part I wanted to paint. then news paper to cover what I didn't want overspray on. If you dont want to go all around the head light like I did just take the tape and tape a straight
line off from top corner of the fender to the point where the hood meets the light.( corner to corner)

I used my air brush to do the painting,a spray can wont look as tight. I used auto clear coat also in my air brush.That made the paint really match.

You can go to the local sign shop and get a couple peices of vinyl and make them.I know that on my head lights, those points sticking out would be a pain in the a$$ with vinyl. Altho If you make a template (the best way to go about it) you can get those points cut out of the template and get it looking right before you mess up a peice of vinyl.(PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE HERE).

I like my eyelids on my 98 ACR,the problem I am worried about is my car is red,the eyelids are red, thus the light shines behind the paint and it shows red.I may get pulled over for that.Other than that little tid bit I am very pleased with them.THEY WIPED OFF THE SMILE AND GAVE HER A SNARL.

PEACE AND GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
casper
Legend

Another way to do it and it won't be permanent is to use vynil film. It just sticks on and can be peeled off if you don't like it. I have seen it done on some other cars, it looks good.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:07 AM
afterfx

Well I can tell ya how its done seeing how that is my car :P Took out the headlights and went to a vynel shop. Had the shop cut me out a decal of where the light was to exit. Went to the store got plastic adhesion promoter black paint and sand paper and color matched spray bomb and clear coat. placed the decal on, sprayed adheasion promoter, shot the lights black, then green and cleared them . once i let them sit and cure took off the decal and vavoom eyelids. Did that for the headlights taillights and 3rd brake.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 AM
jimmasterK
Veteran

That **** is tight! You went through alot more trouble than I would have. Well, than I did go through to get my tail lights how they are. Of course, at night, they look all white, cuz white paint doesn't stop paint very well...

Well ok, there's one way to do it. Another way is my method, remove the lights, tape off with masking tape, and spray paint them. Looks decent enough. Yet, you could always just buy the eye-lids pre-made. I've seen that. Or you can just get a vinyl piece to place on there to cover it up. Different ways to go about it, they're around.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
AmericanCRacer

I plan on doing up my stock tail lights sort of the way you did those. Looks good.
My head lights are done but not clean around like those. I like your method better!
I am going to paint my stock tails and try to fab. a couple of round lenses a red and a smaller clear one to sit directlly underneath eachother.They will be my brakes and back up light and blinker.Im going to try to make it look sorta like Corvette style tails...........What you think of that???? wish me luck!!!!!!!! lol

Until then keep up the good work YO!

Quick Reply: I have a question about headlight covers or eyelids?